Thread: Teach me about AR pistols

Default Teach me about AR pistols

Is it worth it to spend more than PSA money? I eventually would like to go suppressed with it so how easy is it to switch between 5.56 and 300 blk. Is it really as easy as a barrel change? I’m thinking 10.5” 5.56 for initial purchase
    Last edited by Row vs. Wade; 05-24-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Let me help you out......... Don't go 556 as your initial pistol barrel unless you have a suppressor already. You need ear plugs AND muffs. It will be LOUD, I mean LOUD enough that it will ruin you from wanting to shoot it anymore.

Get a 300blk first then once you get a can get the 556 if you really want one.

As far as switching between the two just pop the take down pins out and swap uppers.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 05-24-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Good point. I’ve only shot 16” rifles and didn’t think about that.

My advice....... Get a couple cans first
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I don't have any use for a 5.56. It's too puny for deer and too much for squirrels. 300 BLK, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel are all much better choices for hunting. The only thing 5.56 offers is really cheap ammo.

IMHO, if you are going to suppress, you have to go with a 300 BLK first. Heavy subsonic for quiet close stuff (<~100 yard) and not much louder 110 gr. super-sonics for longer range (300 yards) deer hunting, all without having to change anything on the gun. Any of the other choices won't cycle subsonic and super-sonics of the same cartridge without making some changes, like buffers, gas blocks, etc.

Get the CHF barrel if your going PSA. I have a 10.5” 5.56 and a 10.5” 300 blackout and while the 5.56 is loud unsuppressed I haven’t found it to be unbearable at all. In fact I let a girl shoot several pistols and rifles last week who had never touched a gun before and the 10.5” 5.56 was by far her favorite due to the light weight compared to my 14.7” and 16” rifles. But I had her wearing plugs and muffs. The 5.56 sits beside the bed every night with a light, red dot and loaded with 64 grain gold dots.

Just buy the 6.5 Grendel I have in the trading post

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...77-6-5-Grendel

I have been debating for two days about posting a brand new .300Blkout pistol in the trading post.
    I just need to figure out how much I have in it
    Oh, and it is pretty sweet

Sorry I didn’t see your post earlier @ecu1984. I went with 8.5” 300 BLK pistol With SBA3 brace from PSA. I’m happy other than ammo prices. Plan on putting a sig Romeo 5 red dot on it and taking it for a roll next weekend. Any recommendations for QD suppressors? I plan to order one ASAP. Also any reccs for muzzle device while I wait the year for NFA paperwork?

https://www.primaryarms.com/KAK-CAN-5824-FULL

Thoughts on this one?
    Last edited by Row vs. Wade; 05-25-2020 at 08:28 PM.

12” 6.5 grendel is a killing machine. I sell a ton of them in Missouri because it falls into the category of “other weapon” there and adds 2-3 weeks to deer season. If I build a pistol that would be one of two calibers I’d go with. The other would be an 11” 5.56.

I have a 8.5” 5.56 with a KAK flash can and it’s not bad at all.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

12” grendel? Does that require different mags? I’ve a good feeling I’m falling down a rabbit hole and will end up with several uppers to go on this pistol.

I've got a silencerco omega for my rifle needs.
    Also have a 22 suppressor just need a pistol suppressor and I'll be set for a little while.

I've got the same stuff as Chuck the Duck Slayer, an Omega for my rifles, a quiet .22 rifle and I need a pistol can.

You will need a different magazine and bolt for 6.5 Grendel. FLS pointed me to a PRI 6.8 SPC metal 10 round mag that works more reliably than the 6.5 mags I was using.

E44E8A8B-7F0A-4A64-ACF6-3FDDEBD87148.jpg
    Not an AR, but should be fun to play with.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

That’s a slick set up and I really like the way those Ak 9s look. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a magnifier on a 9mm before, haha. How far have you stretched it?
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-26-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    That’s a slick set up and I really like the way those Ak 9s look. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a magnifier on a 9mm before, haha. How far have you stretched it?
    Haven’t even shot it yet. Figured i could swap the magnifier around since it has a quick detach.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Personally, I do not want a pistol. You are not going to be able to control it nearly as well unless it has a stock or a brace. Having said that... Barrel length makes a humongous difference in noise. A SBR or pistol 5.56 is deafening loud. 300aac is made to be shot subsonic and suppressed. I had my 300 setup as a pistol before I got my stamp so I could have all the bugs worked out. As soon as I got the stamp I put the stock on it and never looked back.

Yes... 300AAC is made from 5.56 casings so everything including the bolt is the same. All you have to do is swap the barrel. It is way easier to pop out the take down pins and just swap uppers tho. Or... As cheap as ARs are now, just buy both
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog