Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC Stingray death

Default SC Stingray death

SC 14-Year-Old Dies Weeks After Stingray Injury On Hilton Head. Authorities Are InvestigatingPublished 13 hours ago on May 21, 2020By Mandy Matney

A 14-year-old Hilton Head Island, South Carolina girl died Wednesday weeks after she was attacked by a stingray, according to Beaufort County Chief Deputy Coroner David Ott.

Authorities do not know if the stingray has anything to do with her death, Ott told FITSNews.

Presley Miller died Wednesday at Memorial Health University Hospital in Savannah, Georgia.

She was injured by a stingray on Monday, May 4 on Hilton Head Island, Ott said.

An autopsy at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) was inconclusive, Ott said Thursday afternoon.

Ott said that further lab testing is required to determine Miller’s cause of death and find out more information on whether or not the stingray injury had something to do with her death. It could be another eight weeks before any official results.

Miller was a student at Hilton Head Island Middle School. She was in the eighth grade.

Stingray attacks are fairly common on Hilton Head, but have never been deadly.

A Hilton Head emergency room director previously told the Island Packet that Hilton Head Hospital treats about 200 patients a year for stingray injuries, compared to about 15-25 snake bites.

The injuries —caused by the barbed tail sending venom — tend to peak around Memorial Day weekend.

According to poison.org, complications such as infections can be caused by stingray injuries.

“Death is extremely rare and results not from the venom but from the puncture wound itself if it is in the chest, abdomen, or neck,” according to poison.org. “Death from serious infections like tetanus has also been reported.”

Stingrays typically hang out at the bottom of the ocean and most injuries occur when they are surprised or stepped on. According to National Geographic, most stingray injuries can be prevented by doing the “stingray shuffle” when you keep your feet on the ocean floor as you move around. Shoes are also recommended to avoid stingray injuries.

Again, deadly stingray attacks are incredibly rare. When the famous Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin died after getting stung in the heart by a stingray in 2006, Slate reported that fatal injuries from stingrays are so rare, it’s hard to tell how many have been reported.

More than 40 years ago, an Australian magazine reported there were only 17 stingray recorded deaths in the world, according to Slate.

Obviously she died of Covid 19.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Stringray attacks Lol
    867-5309

If they can get Steve, they can get anybody......Just like the Clintons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Prayers for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Stringray attacks Lol
    My thoughts as well. Gotta watch out for them things stalking you like prey at the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    My thoughts as well. Gotta watch out for them things stalking you like prey at the beach.
    Coyotes of the sea.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Fish spine injury is no joke! I am learning all about them first hand... 10 days post op. Got spined by a sheepshead while cleaning them on March 7th. Tiny spine, clean in and out. Didn't think anymore about it until my finger had swollen to the point of not being able to move it and the pain felt like it was broken. Shit moved to my palm quickly once it started moving. A month of antibiotics slowed it but that's about it....

Surgery to remove the infection and follow up with infectious disease doc. The bacterial cultures will take up to 6-8 weeks. I am currently taking 2 different antibiotics with another 2-4 months to look forward to. I just pray that there is no more cutting involved!!!

KIMG1365.JPG
    Last edited by fro; 05-22-2020 at 08:49 AM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Any indication if this occuired at the beach on in a marsh or what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Dang fro, that's rough
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Fish spine injury is no joke! I am learning all about them first hand... 10 days post op. Got spined by a sheepshead while cleaning them on March 7th. Tiny spine, clean in and out. Didn't think anymore about it until my finger had swollen to the point of not being able to move it and the pain felt like it was broken. Shit moved to my palm quickly once it started moving. A month of antibiotics slowed it but that's about it....

Surgery to remove the infection and follow up with infectious disease doc. The bacterial cultures will take up to 6-8 weeks. I am currently taking 2 different antibiotics with another 2-4 months to look forward to. I just pray that there is no more cutting involved!!!

KIMG1365.JPG
    Pussy.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Pussy.
    Damn dude. What an asshole! You fouled up about your drill bit problem still?

Someone got an A+ in suturing. Nice work. Hope you heal well.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Damn dude. What an asshole! You fouled up about your drill bit problem still?
    yeah, that got me a little raw.

Just giving you shit. I got a MRSA infection from a briar scratch once. So...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Damn Fro! Hope it's under control.

Laughed a bit about the use of attack, but prayers for the family. I give stingrays far more deference than I do with most of the sharks that I handle.

KIMG1365.JPG
    Damn, that’s rough. My hands are always cut up after a day bottom fishing. Makes me think about keeping gloves on more.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I stepped on a stingray senior week of high school in Hilton Head. Aint gonna lie, was one of the most painful things of my life.

I sent the link to fro's post to my sheepshead fishing buddy and he replied that the same thing happened to him. Sheep spine in the knuckle, infection, operating room, antibiotics.

They suck and I'm going to collect rent when this shit clears up!! That's their ass...

Barnacle bacteria.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.