Thread: Thought I was done for the year until today.

Default Thought I was done for the year until today.

Leaving work today, I noticed on my phone that Wyoming extended its turkey season through the end of May...another reason to love this place.
    I drove by a close-to-town spot, spotted a Tom in the cottonwood river bottom, hauled it to the house, and grabbed my oldest boy for his first turkey hunt and possibly his first time ever pulling the trigger on a shotgun. He is mean medicine on the grasshoppers from distance with his Red Ryder, so I put a two dot rear sight on his vent-rib and told him to line it up just like with his BB gun and squeeze. We got set up just in time to get pelted by a thunderstorm that blew up right over us...bunch of rain and pea sized hail. Holleman was wet and miserable and wanted to leave. Sun broke, winds remained at 30+ with higher gusts. I ask him if he wants to make a move or go home, and he says "lets go try to get them." We made a move on the birds down the creek bottom, as they wouldn't have heard an air horn from 200 in that wind. We ease up to a downed tree, and I tell Holleman, "stand up and be ready to shoot if they haven't seen us and are still there." He eases up and straight back down..."he's right there!" I say, "OK, stand up and shoot him at the base of his neck." He eases up, with gun up and I see the top of birds head as he catches movement..."boom!" Bird cuts a flip, and that little Ithaca 28 sat my boy, who was not expecting the back-end of TSS and did not have a steady wide base, down in a hurry. Studly bird going on the wall. Proud my boy stuck with it in pretty miserable and cold conditions; he just asked me if we could buy another license...told him we were going to have to go after the collard doves, because we were done with Turkeys this year. He has been hesitant to go hunting with a real gun...he is now flat out hooked. Glad he shoots better than dad.

My 6yo wants to go tomorrow, and my wife wants to go this weekend, so maybe two more bonus Gobblers before the fat lady sings.

;;;
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 05-21-2020 at 01:33 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Way to go Dad.
    How many of them there long birds can a resident shoot?

Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    Way to go Dad.
    How many of them there long birds can a resident shoot?
    One per license...you buy different licenses for different game vs buying a license then buying or applying for “tags.” There are 5 zones. You can use your one general license in any zone. In 3 of the zones, you can also apply for limited quota License in addition to the general Quota license. After the limited quota drawings, you can buy up to 2 limited quota leftover tags. We hunt in general tag only areas, so we can only kill one per license per year.

Dab on 'em, son!

Wu Tang!
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That’s awesome, but you need to talk to HS about getting that boy some sexy socks.

Congrats!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Congrats ! Pretty Whitetip!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Congrats to your boy!

Go Boy!

Nice job

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    That’s awesome, but you need to talk to HS about getting that boy some sexy socks.

Congrats!
    He’s damn strange about what clothes are comfortable and how he wears stuff. When we left the house, it was 80+ and sunny...sat down and it turned black and started raining and hailing and temp dropped 20-25 degrees in an instant. He had on shorts and a t-shirt and that leafy suit so he wouldn’t get too hot...and he about froze. Lack of open barbers has him with his hair-metal hair kicking, and he’s all into that now. Nana is going to have a stroke trying to get him to get it cut when we visit Camden in June. He hasn’t stopped talking about killing that turkey...excited, philosophical at times...expressing confusion and being so excited to kill a living creature but feeling sad or thinking he should feel sad for taking its life when it was just enjoying living in the river bottom...but being really excited to go after the next game animals. It’s a trip fo sho watching this continuing to unfold.

Best part of the story...so as I’m hugging him shielding him from the rain and feel him shivering, I’m just cursing the bad weather luck and hoping it would hurry up and pass by. I tell Holleman that I think it’s just about over and I see clearing sky’s behind us and he says, “yep, it’s because Ive been praying really hard for the rain to stop and for it to get warmer.”

I’m cursing the weather under my breath while my 8 yo knows what to do and is actually doing it. Mama is doing a good job.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 05-21-2020 at 10:12 AM.

I'll be in WY tomorrow. Can't wait. And congrats
    Last edited by trkykilr; 05-21-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

We left WY last Saturday. Beautiful places and we made lots of Memories. Congrats to you and your boy.

Very awesome brother!
    Genesis 9;2