Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS/fish finder

Default GPS/fish finder

I bought a new to me boat and wanting to upgrade electronics. Looking at the Hummingbird Helix 7 and the Garmin Echomaps. Wanting to stay below $700.

Any suggestions? Would like to have a decent set of maps. Boat will spend 70% of its time in fresh water. Cooper river, lake, and edisto river.

Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I bought a new to me boat and wanting to upgrade electronics. Looking at the Hummingbird Helix 7 and the Garmin Echomaps. Wanting to stay below $700.

Any suggestions? Would like to have a decent set of maps. Boat will spend 70% of its time in fresh water. Cooper river, lake, and edisto river.
    If you have a trolling motor that is compatible with a certain brand of fish finder then get that. Also, I have a 7" screen and constantly am wishing i had gone bigger.

I have a Garmin 73sv? and it works great. Map isn't all that great on mine but the newer ones may be better.

I have a hummingbird helix (probably a generation behind current). I do not like it and would not buy again. Base maps are trash and it takes awhile to find you. Sonar is fine. I barely ever turn it on.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 05-20-2020 at 04:06 PM.

Honestly it’s all in what you are use to. I personally like humminbird. But that’s what I’m use to and it networks with my trolling motor. Rarely do I use base maps as I’ve bought the lakemaster and navionic chips.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowr...-combo-2470478

Anyone have any experience with this one?

For what it sounds like you are looking for I think you will be extremely satisfied with the hook2 9. They just released the hook reveal so these are on sale. If I was looking for something right now and didn’t want to spend 1000 plus this Is what I’d go with hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowr...-combo-2470478

Anyone have any experience with this one?
    Looks like a good deal. I’d be curious as to what the map details really look like in our area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I’m a Humminbird guy. I’ve got six of them currently and never had a problem with any of them. Base maps are always going to be garbage. There just isn’t enough detail but you can’t hold that against the manufacturer. They sell them around the world so trying to load detailed maps for the entire world would take up a ridiculous amount of memory for no reason. That’s why they make chart cards. If you end up with Humminbird I would definitely suggest the Lakemaster cards. They have all the detail you need plus added advantages like depth offsets and depth shading. I have Lakemaster cards as well as Navionics and almost always opt for the Lakemaster.

If you’re looking for a deal the Helix 7 SI G2 is on clearance at Bass Pro right now for $399. It’s not a MEGA model but is still a great unit. If you’re willing to spend the cash the MEGA is really nice as is getting a larger screen. The Helix 7 MSI G3 is what I’m running on my kayak right now. I wouldn’t go with anything smaller than a 7” screen if you’re looking for a unit with side imaging.

Also, the reason there is such a price jump between the Helix 7 MSI and the Helix 8 MSI is due to the 8” and up screens having true down imaging. There is a separate piezo for down imaging on the 8” and up where as the Helix 7 MSI uses the SI crystals to create a composite image that is displayed as down imaging.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Last edited by Ring King; 05-20-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Humminbird for SI & DI image quality over garmin any day. Lake master mapping is hard to beat as well.

I got the feeling he was looking for a good GPS unit with a good base map.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I bought the Lowrance Hook 2 9in tripleshot from basspro about a month ago. I love it. works great maps are ok, but I bought the navionics regions + east card for it because I do use it for salt as much as I do fresh water. I would say if all you mainly fish is freshwater then the maps would be fine without the card. I am in the unit for $650 with the card.
    Last edited by duckpappy; 05-21-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckpappy View Post
    I bought the Lowrance Hook 2 9in tripleshot from basspro about a month ago. I love it. works great maps are ok, but I bought the navionics regions + east card for it because I do use it for salt as much as I do fresh water. I would say if all you mainly fish is freshwater then the maps would be fine without the card. I am in the unit for $650 with the card.
    Does it have the fish Reveal or the regular hook 2?

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Does it have the fish Reveal or the regular hook 2?
    If you go with Lowrance just make sure it has the Genius maps preloaded. They work well for navigating. Map cards are for more defined contour lines.

I have fish reveal but don't use it. It does look cool.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-22-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If you go with Lowrance just make sure it has the Genius maps preloaded. They work well for navigating. Map cards are for more defined contour lines.

I’m looking hard at the hook Reveal 7 with the splitshot transducer. The base map is the only thing holding me back. I’m not sure what comes pre loaded on that model.

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I’m looking hard at the hook Reveal 7 with the splitshot transducer. The base map is the only thing holding me back. I’m not sure what comes pre loaded on that model.
    Call Lowrance and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Call Lowrance and ask.

I just hit send on the email.

This video says they have Genius live mapping. The Hook units are good but they do not network to another unit. So if you are thinking on two units later, you need to be aware of this. Otherwise you should be good with the Hook.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-22-2020 at 06:40 AM.