Thread: self guided merriams

Default self guided merriams

Looking to go west next year. Any good outfitters that do a DIY hunt?
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

You do not need an outfitter, just time. Apply for tags, fly into Rapid City rent a truck, and go.

Black Hills is always a solid plan. My understanding from a couple friends that went is that there was a lot of competition..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

If someone gives you a great DIY merriams contact, they are a good friend. They are not hard to find on public land, and with the right weather, proper homework, and time you should do just fine. I'm Rapid City bound in the morning with two virgins of western turkey hunting. I look forward to one of them saying "how do we get around them?"
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    If someone gives you a great DIY merriams contact, they are a good friend. They are not hard to find on public land, and with the right weather, proper homework, and time you should do just fine. I'm Rapid City bound in the morning with two virgins of western turkey hunting. I look forward to one of them saying "how do we get around them?"
    So, are you going to point them in the general direction or just watch them walk out of sight?? ( the virgins I mean).. I haven't seen any human out walk or get ahead of a Merriam. They can cover some ground with a quickness. Good luck Michael.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Hope you fellas have a big time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    You do not need an outfitter, just time. Apply for tags, fly into Rapid City rent a truck, and go.
    Being military that's what I lack is time. Don't mind paying for a self guided or trespass fees. Just don't want to waste time either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Being military that's what I lack is time. Don't mind paying for a self guided or trespass fees. Just don't want to waste time either.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I understand. Killing Merriams is about weather. A man can have a million birds and charge you $2 to trespass, but if the weather sucks, it is tough. 10 mph wind and sunny, you can't have enough shells.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

I've hunted Antelope with Hiland Outfitters in Hiland, Wyoming. Nothing 5 star, but they do turkey hunts, and would do whatever you want Id think. Price was $8-900 for lodging and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    So, are you going to point them in the general direction or just watch them walk out of sight?? ( the virgins I mean).. I haven't seen any human out walk or get ahead of a Merriam. They can cover some ground with a quickness. Good luck Michael.
    Those virgin Merriam hunters found birds, covered some rock, and flat out got it done!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Those virgin Merriam hunters found birds, covered some rock, and flat out got it done!
    I an up to date. Nice work yall. Question is , did you find a nice riverbottom tract for sale??
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    I an up to date. Nice work yall. Question is , did you find a nice riverbottom tract for sale??
    Under contract....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My Man!!!!!

Day hunts available?? Put me in the mix please. Hahahahaha
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I ain’t gonna lie. Cali was incredibly inspired by that western scenery

I ain’t gonna lie. Cali was incredibly inspired by that western scenery
    Well yeah. It is the " West"..

Best turkeys there are. Discretion be damned when it's " Someone else's Turkeys." By God.

Looks like a superb trip indeed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.