Thread: Dog Registry

Default Dog Registry

What is the difference between CKC (continental Kennel Club) and the AKC (American Kennel Club)? Not just what what's on their webpage. What is the difference as in what makes 1 more valuable than the other? Is 1 more accurate in breeding than the other?

Well, from what I understand..... people register with CKC when they can’t get AKC papers. That way they can sell “registered” pups. I may be all wet.....

You are correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Well, from what I understand..... people register with CKC when they can’t get AKC papers. That way they can sell “registered” pups. I may be all wet.....

AKC=Brand Name

CKC=Off Brand

CKC is the WalMart of dog registration.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

The above is correct, but at the same time, the AKC doesn't really stand for much anymore other than it's a political organization in that it doesn't mean shit in regards to the enforcement of breed standards anymore. As long as you pay their fees, they give you the papers. You could be registering a Unicorn and they would probably send papers.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Also, CKC pretty much serves the puppy mill breeders.
    Hunting outside the box

The bigger question is, would you trust CKC registered dogs like AKC registered dogs? I know papers don't make the dog. Looking for puppies, I've seen a lot of CKC thinking Canadian Kennel Club instead of contenental.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose843 View Post
    The bigger question is, would you trust CKC registered dogs like AKC registered dogs? I know papers don't make the dog. Looking for puppies, I've seen a lot of CKC thinking Canadian Kennel Club instead of contenental.
    AKC will register a dysplastic, genetically fucked up, skittish or crazy dog as fast as the CKC. If I was not going to breed, I would not care about them at all. If you wanted to compete in some sort of AKC sport or show your dog then papers are important.

Not sure to the OP but I witnessed a dog being purchased with papers, that had the previous owners indisputable mark on it. Did not have papers with previous owner. Granted it was 40 ish years ago, but people fudge sometimes on dogs.

Also to clarify mine are registered at KFC. Carry on.

About 8yrs ago I stumbled upon the CKC and you could register anything but had to send pictures of the dog from the front, the back and both sides. If it passed you would get papers that said”original stock”. I’m guessing they were just starting out and had to get going

I would take those registries with a grain of salt depending on what you are doing or looking for. If you are trying to breed then it definitely matters, and I wish you luck.

Whatever breed you are interested in look at prominent disorders or issues and if the parents or lineage have been tested for those issues that is ideal.

I am not speaking from a pile of personal dog ownership experience but have owned a lab and 3 bird dogs (1 english setter, 2 english pointers) and also have worked in the veterinary field for over 16 years now.

Do your home work on the breed in general and then do your homework on the bloodlines. My lab came out of a small place in kingstree and he hunted hard for 12 years, limited for one, before retiring him at 13 and lived til 15. The bird dogs lived a kennel life and lived until 12-14 as well. I personally hunted with my labs parents and did breed homework on them as well as the pointers. Sometimes you get what you pay for, but making an informed decision is your best bet yet not always a guarantee.

All this aside, people come across great mix breed dogs that function as hunting dogs or great companions. All in what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk