Thread: Another AFM/DOD thread

Default Another AFM/DOD thread

Looks like GM’s AFM/DOD woes carried over into the GEN V LT/LS platform as well. 2017 Camaro SS with a 6.2

Notice the clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem compared to the others.

Collapsed AFM lifter
    More fuel = more boost!!

Out of warranty?

Warranty ends at 60k

This one is out
    More fuel = more boost!!

Damn that sucks

How exactly does that collapse? Is it seized inside causing the spring to collapse (or not rebound)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    How exactly does that collapse? Is it seized inside causing the spring to collapse (or not rebound)?
    Yeah. GM kills oil to it to make it collapse then fires the oil to it to make it go to full extension. Sometimes it’s starved just right and it’s metal on metal and it seizes. The guy that continues to drive with lifter noise or a misfire ends up wiping out the cam.

I’ve read on here and other places that the GEN V DOD issues were resolved. Obviously not...
    Last edited by KRT; 05-19-2020 at 07:48 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Engineers out-thinking themselves. Again.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

KRT have you done a AFM delete on an LT4?

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Yeah. GM kills oil to it to make it collapse then fires the oil to it to make it go to full extension. Sometimes it’s starved just right and it’s metal on metal and it seizes. The guy that continues to drive with lifter noise or a misfire ends up wiping out the cam.

I’ve read on here and other places that the GEN V DOD issues were resolved. Obviously not...
    Good news though model year 20 and up 6.2L do not have AFM

Only way I'd buy a Chevrolet at this point is if I needed another A2Z visor...
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Only way I'd buy a Chevrolet at this point is if I needed another A2Z visor...
    No shit. Bought mine 3/14/20, I’ve been in it 14 days total. So far they’ve replaced the fuel pump, right fuel rail, left rail sensors, batteries, checked the entire wiring harness and connections and probably some other shit. Truck is to be replaced but no one knows when. I’m now in a 2020 AT4 2500 because evidently every two weeks they have to switch loaners.

It’s a shit show but I don’t have time to meet with the lawyer right now. So, I just take it day by day and laugh at the CS reps. Apparently they get quite offended when you tell them they’re being recorded too. They respond by email now which is what I wanted anyway.

Great riding/driving trucks too bad their engines are POS.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot Uniform View Post
    KRT have you done a AFM delete on an LT4?
    I have.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I have 15 GMC with a 6.2 56000 miles. Has an intemit tick on the drivers side. Was told it was normal. Mechanic said it had something to do with the fuel system. Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by peedeeman View Post
    I have 15 GMC with a 6.2 56000 miles. Has an intemit tick on the drivers side. Was told it was normal. Mechanic said it had something to do with the fuel system. Is this normal?
    So in 2014 GM went direct injection which requires a high pressure fuel pump. That pump has a noticeable tick at idle but it’s no lifter tick.

A lifter tick will change upon acceleration. The high pressure pump noise will stay consistent.
    More fuel = more boost!!