Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumper crop hummingbirds?

Default Bumper crop hummingbirds?

Seeing a ton of activity this past week, double or more prior to now and a bunch of fuzzy headed juveniles. Hammering feeders along with the bees. Anyone seeing similar boom?
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

After hardly seeing any this year, I've definitely had an explosion the last week or so. Just have one feeder outside the back door, but they've been pretty steady coming to it. I wish it was more shaded, but oh well.

They’ve been in my yard since May.

If you plant for them, you’ll see FAR more.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I had to catch one the other day in my garage. I normally get 4 or 5 a year that fly in my garage and don’t know that all they have to do is fly low to get out. They just fly up at the ceiling and the windows. I have a little butterfly like net that I use to catch them with. They are all hot and tired after flying around in there. Sometimes their poor little tongues are hanging out. I bet garages kill a bunch of them.

I have a bunch hanging around the house here in Fairfield county. I have two feeders they are sucking them dry in 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    They’ve been in my yard since May.

If you plant for them, you’ll see FAR more.
    I have plenty of plants for them. They were just slow to show up.

I am seeing less than normal (Upstate).

It took me about 2 months of filling feeders before my lazy ass googled “hummingbird plants.”

Line up about 3-5 salvia Amistad bushes in the sun and watch em buzz around em all day.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Had one in the garage this morning. Like others usually have several a year. Have never had a male, always females

A ton here in tee Pee Dee, too. Learn and remember their chattering call, and you will hear them ever where in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    A ton here in tee Pee Dee, too. Learn and remember their chattering call, and you will hear them ever where in the woods.
    Damn- you can actually hear them?

they chirp like crazy when they chase others off
    i dont know about this chattering call thing but that's likely what he's talking about.

i usually hear them before i see them...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    That’s right. I hear them everywhere during turkey season in the tree canopy even in the mountains. They don’t show up well at our house till blooming stuff starts playing out with the heat. We have two feeders where we get a good show. I’ve posted this vid before of a deke I made to mess with an aggressive male. Plenty of the chirping in it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

This time last year my feeders were slap empty every afternoon when I got home from work. Sometimes there were 8 or ten hovering around each one. Looked like the moons of Jupiter. I had one feeder on the coffee table on the deck, and they'd line up to feed with us sitting all around. This year, they are barely taking an inch a day. I don't get it.
    Last edited by GMAC; 08-07-2020 at 07:07 AM.

Other food source somewhere maybe. Plenty of rain this year has to have an impact.

Three feeders a day at my house. It gets old. I'm like watching them. But, I'm glad to see them go in the fall. They're dependents, if they could vote they'd be democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    they chirp like crazy when they chase others off
    i dont know about this chattering call thing but that's likely what he's talking about.

i usually hear them before i see them...
    I usually hear them before I see them too....they sounds like a big ass bug flying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
    Three feeders a day at my house. It gets old. I'm like watching them. But, I'm glad to see them go in the fall. They're dependents, if they could vote they'd be democrats.
    LOL! Ain't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    I had to catch one the other day in my garage. I normally get 4 or 5 a year that fly in my garage and don’t know that all they have to do is fly low to get out. They just fly up at the ceiling and the windows. I have a little butterfly like net that I use to catch them with. They are all hot and tired after flying around in there. Sometimes their poor little tongues are hanging out. I bet garages kill a bunch of them.
    same thing I get, i actually hold them in my hand and put a few drops of sugar water in their beak and they eventually come back to life,
    They burn a crazy amount of energy and pass out from being trapped and beating those wings until exhausted.....the sugar water is cocaine for them
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-12-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk