Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Septic/drain field issues

Are you sure your washing machine is going to your septic tank? Mine goes to a separate drain than toilet, shower, sink etc. Now my house was built in 65 so that could be part of it. I also have noticed two damp spots on the ground in my gravel driveway. Need to dig it up to see if it’s the main waterline coming from well to house(doubtful since no real noticeable lack of water pressure) Or drain field which supposedly heads that way. My washing machine stays backed up. Think it has to do with amount of water being much more than toilet or shower

All plumbing is draining into septic tank. Hell, I walked outside this morning immediately after a shower and the water was already coming out and running down the trench I dug. I guess considering the alternative, at least it's flowing out into the backyard and not up into a shower drain

Exact same problem we were having - wet spot about 30' from the tank, at the start of the drain field. It was explained to us that we are simply putting out more water than the system can handle. Added 100' of line ($2500) and problem is solved. Our guy said our existing lines were working - just not as fast as we were filling them and the water will find a way out. System is 23 years old.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Yea I dont think you need a whole new system just an extension onto your existing lines
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I’ve had a similar issue and was told my leech field was full due to all the rain this year and the ground being saturated. Hoping some dry weather (won’t happen this week) will help it fix itself, otherwise I’ll look at getting some line added

No idea when the system was put in but it was at least 25 years ago. It’s not a primary residence so not constant use

Rabon out of Lugoff was the best to work with and didn’t just say redo the whole drain field. He actually spent some time poking around to have an idea of what’s going on. He was booked up but gave me really good advice and another helpful contact. I rented a mini-ex and dug up part of the first drain line. Tomorrow will be several trips to Lowe’s. Also going to put a clean out below my tank so I can put root killer directly into drain field. Roots are my culprit and shouldn’t be too bad of a fix. I’d highly recommend Ben Rabon’s company.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
    Rabon out of Lugoff was the best to work with and didn’t just say redo the whole drain field. He actually spent some time poking around to have an idea of what’s going on. He was booked up but gave me really good advice and another helpful contact. I rented a mini-ex and dug up part of the first drain line. Tomorrow will be several trips to Lowe’s. Also going to put a clean out below my tank so I can put root killer directly into drain field. Roots are my culprit and shouldn’t be too bad of a fix. I’d highly recommend Ben Rabon’s company.
    If roots are a big issue, like they are for my field, dump a bottle (crystals, not liquid) of Copper Sulfate into the lines every few months after initially doing a double or triple dose, or whatever your guy recommended.

When you dug up the first line, were you able to see if the lines were plugged, or you had much of a bio mat built up? I'm trying to decide what I should do this Summer before things get too out of kilter. Thus far my adding the Copper Sulfate numerous times per year the last several years has made a big difference.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Lines were plugged at the one side of the T and then plugged 35’ on the other side. Probably using less than 1/4 of my system. I’m putting a clean out right before the 1st drain line so I can add root killer directly and not let it just dilute in tank.

Maples gave us a hard time here but were growing into outflow right near tank and backing it up, not drain fields. Removed the trees and problem solved.
    First home had terra drain pipe and they were crushed degraded. Had same water pooling you described. Local septic guy installed a pit adjacent to tank, coiled drain pipe in it and back filled with gravel. Solved it at that house till we sold it years later. Said with right soil type it was a better fix than replacing lines.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles