Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Septic/drain field issues

Default Septic/drain field issues

Does anyone have some good recommendations for septic/drain field companies around Columbia? Think I have a drain field issue. Appreciate any contacts.

I use CE Taylor

We just had 100' added in the upstate. Let me know if you can't find anybody and I'll see if my guy will travel. They did a great job and were very reasonable.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Sharpes Septic Tank. They replaced my tank and new drain field a few years ago. What is going on to make you suspicious of your drain field?

I will second Sharpe’s Septic on Fish Hatchery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CE Taylor or Sharpes are both good.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Sharpe’s here as well.

Danny Holt out of Winnsboro did well for me

FJ Rabon from Lugoff is excellent as well and covers NE Columbia. Rabon does septic pumping as well and has done a few for me.

Musser Septic Systems out of Wagener. Give him a call before you go with anybody else. VERY reasonable and as honest as they come. Only people we will use.

Can you give details of your problems?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Thanks for the replies. I noticed water seeping up to the surface roughly 35-40’ from the tank a couple of weeks ago. 2 weekends ago I dug a trench another 20’ or so downhill to give it a place to drain. I had the tank pumped out last Tuesday. Waited 3 days to fill in the trench to allow it more time to dry up, and on Sunday the water was coming back to the surface. My internet research is making me think either some of the drain lines are compromised or there’s a “bio-mat” that isn’t allowing the water to drain down into the soil. We’re in Blythewood and on well drained sandy soil. House is 17 years old. One company recommended installing a new drain field over the phone. Waiting to hear back from company who pumped the tank. I’ll be calling several of the others y’all recommended tomorrow. Only thing I can think of that could have crushed the lines is when my dad drove his Tacoma over it 2+ years ago, he wasn’t thinking about septic and saving his back dropping off some chairs for a fire pit. Thanks again for the recommendations.

The Tacoma should not be the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

How full was the tank when pumped? If the tank was too full, and you had solids getting over into the drain field, they could be clogging up lines. Haven’t had enough rain to raise the water table.

The tank appeared to very full. Guys who pumped it didn’t seem surprised and thought it looked normal. The water that’s draining up to the surface below drain field doesn’t take long from when the washing machine cycles out water, so why does it flow out so quickly and not slowly into the ground?

Also worth mentioning we have had my mom or mother in law helping out with kids since Covid. Between another person in our house and kids being home our water consumption has increased by at least 25%

You got a real shitty problem on your hands.

Has the tank been pumped before? Could be the solids from the bottom like Bear said or the fats and oils from the top that got into the drain field and clogged it. I’ve got a buddy that works for DHEC and he recommended if you have a garbage disposal and on a septic system to have the tank pumped every 2-3 years as routine maintenance. I thought that seemed a bit excessive but he said it’s much cheaper to pump it than to replace the drain field. He also claimed products like Rid-X to be snake oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I’ve been waiting for that comment

Lawdog dont go round here.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.