Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time planting sunflowers , appreciate any tips

Default First time planting sunflowers , appreciate any tips

This is 4th yr we have planted our current dove field. Up till this point we planted millet and it has come up and done well, this same area is a planted food plot for deer and is planted mid-late Sept

Buddy that I dove hunt has been busting a gut to try sunflowers, couple sunflower fields near us and there is a distinct difference to say the least

Did typical bushhogging and plowing of field and he picked up bag of sunflowers . Called another friend that has a 2 row planter and he actually had one of his employees drop it and nice JD tractor off for us Saturday , plus hopper was full of sunflower seeds (told us to use what we needed ).

We planted about 3 acres in sunflowers and since we had some millet we planted some of the other areas and perimeter in millet. First time either of us had ever used a row planter and boy was that nice

We are told deer can/will wreak havoc on sunflowers, so not sure how well these will do

My question is there anyway to deter the deer from the sunflowers , plenty of surrounding agricultural around but this place is loaded with deer (and hogs ). Several fields around us and they are planted with sunflowers and really not much bigger than what we planted and they seem to have zero issues with deer

Kind of anxious to see how this goes, basically this is a “labor day” weekend shoot and then I plant my food plot but my hunting partner does have 2 teen boys that love everything about hunting and making food plots.

Appreciate any tips.

Also got another hunting partner that has a bucket truck and is going to set a 2-3 poles for fake power lines. Hoping this helps some as well

Been a decent place to shoot dove for no more than we put into it but have to admit I hate for his boys to sit and guns booming away like a war when all we get are a few birds here and there and hoping this works

I have a 24 acre dove field. Half sunflowers/half corn. We put up scarecrows every 100 yds or so and soak them with Lysol. I haven’t seen a deer track in the field since the day we planted (4 weeks ago) and I’m in an area loaded with deer.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I have a 24 acre dove field. Half sunflowers/half corn. We put up scarecrows every 100 yds or so and soak them with Lysol. I haven’t seen a deer track in the field since the day we planted (4 weeks ago) and I’m in an area loaded with deer.
    Thanks.

24 acres? thats a bunch of scarecrows...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Whats more impressive is having that much Lysol on hand these days..

Put the seeds in the dirt. Won’t work otherwise

You need one of those used car dealership "air dancers".

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That’s Gumbi, dammit.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    That's a just last resort for gutless pussies....

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

My tip is to protect your crop. The only success we have had is with multi strand hot fence and that he only been decent. Without protection, 3 acres of sunflowers with a high deer density will result in a lot of hard work with very little to show for it.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    My tip is to protect your crop. The only success we have had is with multi strand hot fence and that he only been decent. Without protection, 3 acres of sunflowers with a high deer density will result in a lot of hard work with very little to show for it.
    Ive seen this discussed before and in detail but can you or anyone give a quick rundown on spacing and height of said wires? And I assume to electrify all three.

All three.. our first wire is a band, front row. It's about 30 inches high. The second line is about two feet behind that one. The first strand is 24 inches high the second is about 36ish high. That's off my memory, I've got a pic, let me look.

That's also expensive.. milagranite, start spreading it over the top, if it rains, spread it again. Maybe once a week to ten days without rain.. once they get too tall, spread it around the perimeter

They dont care what size the flowers are, they'll just eat the s*** out of them whenever they feel like it. One day, you're like "wow, look at those pretty huge heads" them bam, they RIP your heart out.

I have had success with a 6 ft fence in the past. I think the key is to have the fence up and hot at least a week before anything comes up. That way they get hit a few times before they know anything is in there. We didn't do that at one place I planted this year because of the tornado and didn't get the fence up until about a week after everything was planted. Big mistake. Once they know what is in there you are going to need one much higher than 6ft. We were about to write off one field until I did some research on here and found out about miller's hot sauce and talked the owner into giving it a try. I sprayed it last Thursday and we have not seen any new damage. He called me earlier and told me that it more or less saved the field. The Milorganite didn't phase the deer at this place. It has worked for me in the past as a short term fix. As will the miller's its going to have to be reapplied every 7-10 days. A fence is expensive but its not an expense that you need to figure in every year. I am going on year 4 with my fence.
    Last edited by duckchoppin; 05-18-2020 at 07:27 PM.

And just like that I found a pic of you bent over.

1FC88F29-E0D9-4F02-9C42-AA3452BEDA21.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    That's a just last resort for gutless pussies....
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

What kind of Sunflowers did you plant? Peredovick or Clearfileds? The fist you can't spray any herbicide on them. The second you can spray with Cadre and Poast. I plant the Clearfields because they have large seed heads and are chemical resistant.
    As to the deer.......I put up stakes around the field about 50 yards apart . On which I staple a rag soaked in fabric softner And I made a side boom sprayer for my tractor that I spray the field edges with water mixed with ground up Zest or Irish Spring soap once a week. This keeps them OUT. No need for fences electric or not or other contraptions100_1117.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    What kind of Sunflowers did you plant? Peredovick or Clearfileds? The fist you can't spray any herbicide on them. The second you can spray with Cadre and Poast. I plant the Clearfields because they have large seed heads and are chemical resistant.
    As to the deer.......I put up stakes around the field about 50 yards apart . On which I staple a rag soaked in fabric softner And I made a side boom sprayer for my tractor that I spray the field edges with water mixed with ground up Zest or Irish Spring soap once a week. This keeps them OUT. No need for fences electric or not or other contraptions100_1117.JPG
    You are incorrect when you say you cannot spray Peredoviks with herbicide or poast. You can spray them with most herbicides that kill only grass. Clethodim and poast are both safe to spray on sunflowers. You can also use Spartan charge and dual.

Nice try.
    You could have at least photoshopped a flag of the Confederacy....

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by Model12 View Post
    I want to come shake your hand for a job well done. I also want to come shoot some dove' with you too. Thanks in advance
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"