Thread: Battery On/Off Switch

Default Battery On/Off Switch

Looking for feedback before I hook something up wrong and fry a battery. Have a single battery and single outboard on the boat. Want to install a switch to shut off the battery. The switch I bought has crappy instructions. I think I can run all the positive cables (main plus 2 accessory) that are currently attached to the battery to the input side of the switch. Then run a new cable from the output side of the switch to the positive battery terminal. Leave the two negative cables alone. Does this sound right? Basically just interrupting the positive side?

Ty, *Rubberhead had a great wiring diagram on the boat forum I’ve been trying to find for two days now. Maybe you will have better luck finding it on here.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Rubberhead is the KRT of boat wiring

You are correct, just breaking the circuit.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Sounds to me like you need to switch your hot wires around.Hot wire from battery hooks to input side of the switch. Hot wires going to motor and accessories should be attached to the out put side of your switch.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Sounds to me like you need to switch your hot wires around.Hot wire from battery hooks to input side of the switch. Hot wires going to motor and accessories should be attached to the out put side of your switch.
    This.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

So black wires to input, and output to neg battery terminal? Leave positive cables alone?

Quote Originally Posted by 4THEGIRLS View Post
    So black wires to input, and output to neg battery terminal? Leave positive cables alone?
    Leave negative alone. Battery positive runs to input post, everything else runs from output post.

https://www.perko.com/help_guides-wi...attery_switch/
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 05-17-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Ty,

Hope y'all are doing well. (+) from battery to input side of switch, then main plus both accessories power to the "out" side of switch. With the switch off this will kill power to everything.

Mike

If you are ever going to leave the boat in the water unattended overnight, I would recommend connecting the wire from the float switch on the bulge pump straight to the battery. Put an inline fuse holder right at the battery with a spare fuse taped to it.

YouTube it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This.

If a cat doctor can wire his own boat with this help, anyone could do it!!!

The only thing I'd change with Glen's link is to not use the panel mounted barrel fuses and replace the positive terminal strip with a bladed fuse strip between the main fuse and the switch panel then come off of each switch and do directly to the circuit. Barrel fuses can get squirrelly. In a heavy chop they can shut off at the bottom of every wave...I've been there before and won't go back.

Avoid daisy chains and runs with more than one terminal on each end. The only time I do anything like that is for backlight on the switches which is really unimportant in the whole scheme of things and then I use a piggyback terminal. Make everything simple and point-to-point because you, at some point, will be trying to diagnose and fix a problem while on the water.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I thought I had my new panel and wiring plan all figured out, but it looks like I’d best start over. Dang...

Thanks for the link, Glenn.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I thought I had my new panel and wiring plan all figured out, but it looks like I’d best start over. Dang...

Thanks for the link, Glenn.
    No worries. Tater sent me that link a while back and it is dang near idjit proof. I don't have any tube fuses and looked back to see if I had missed 'em somewhere and still don't see them listed. I have a pos terminal panel and a neg buss bar. Each switch has it's own fuse as well as an inline from the battery switch to the panel.

My bilge is dbl wired. Float switch and I can turn it on at the panel.