Thread: Crawfish Regs

Default Crawfish Regs

Taking the kids out tomorrow to catch some bugs and not 100% of the regs. From what I can find, no more than 5 traps, trap entry holes not to exceed 2.5", and that's about it (besides fishing license for me). Can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything? Method of catching, limit, license, etc?
    Thanks

Sorry, 2.25"

Crayfish Trap
    A device constructed of coated wire with the opening of the throat or flues not exceeding 2-1/4 inches with a minimum mesh size of 1/4 inch bar mesh. All crayfish traps must be marked with the name and customer ID number. These traps only may be used in those bodies of water permitted. A commercial fisherman may fish up to fifty crayfish traps. A recreational fisherman may fish up to five crayfish traps.

How many kids? Take 5 traps per kid too! (The dumbest thing I've ever seen is "regulating" invasive crawfish trapping)

I cut a pool noodle into 4" pieces, tie to a line to the trap and write my info on it.

OR next time, consider buying crawfish nets and run as many as you want.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    How many kids? Take 5 traps per kid too! (The dumbest thing I've ever seen is "regulating" invasive crawfish trapping)

I cut a pool noodle into 4" pieces, tie to a line to the trap and write my info on it.

OR next time, consider buying crawfish nets and run as many as you want.
    Thanks Cajun. 2kids, 10 an 12. I've got 5 traps and 2 dip nets. That should keep them busy for a little while.

These can keep kids busy for hours! They seem pricey but they are tar dipped and commercially made.

https://www.alariobros.com/onedozend...inglering.aspx
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Crawfishing is regulated? Seriously?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

My family being from LA, crawfishing was something we did regularly. Years ago when we dog-hunted in Bowman, Dad would takes us over to Four Hole to run nets. I remember the green jeans showing up one time and writing us a pretty big ticket for using an illegal net, even though S.C. didn't have any crawfish regs at that time. Dad was a Colonel then and showed up to court in his Class A uniform and got out of it. He was some kinda pissed and didn't hold back on how ridiculous the ticket was. I'm pretty sure our incident is why the reg was developed.

Hickory,
    Nets would be the way to go for kids, lots more action. Especially if you can walk around to check em. Let me know if want to borrow some to try. I'm in Cola.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Crawfishing is regulated? Seriously?
    That hurts my head to think about. What sort of weasel would come up with such a bullshit rule to protect yet another largely invasive species?

Thanks for the offer 3 1/2 Magnum.
    Kids had a blast. Got about half a 48qt with dip nets and some traps I made. Traps were the most productive, but least fun for the kids.
    3CE06552-32B3-4AD1-B0F2-13DAF0A623D0.jpg
    Last edited by hickory; 05-16-2020 at 08:19 PM.