Thread: New to me Tohatsu

Default New to me Tohatsu

Finally got rid of my surface drive and hung a tohatsu mfs25b on my 1644. This thing is a lot more fun than it used to be. I got an inexpensive depth/fish finder with GPS so i'm excited to take it to the river this weekend and see what it can do. From what I could tell on my short run the day I bought it, I probably gained about 10 mph despite going from the 35 hp SD to the 25 hp OB. I'm not sure if installing the breakaway plate will help performance atall though.

Thought I'd share results on the swap because there doesn't seem to be much info on outboards hung on godevil boats.

On another note, does anybody know if the older (2012) MFS25B would be compatible with the new tohatsu big tillers with gear shifter and tilt/trim on the handle? the tiller handle is barely even going to be inside the transom once I have the breakaway plate on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good info! I’ve been on the fence of my next hull being a mud hull for my 40 Yamaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They run well on mud hulls. I had 25 merc on my old 1648 godevil once. Did well. Ive got a 50 yamaha that needs a hull and ive thought hard about ordering a gatortrax but not sure my wallet is ready for that
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

You won't find much info on outboards on mud hulls because not many people do it. Mud hulls are made for surface drive motors, not outboards. While some may run fine with an outboard, it's just not what they're made for.

I'd consult the insight of a Tohatsu dealer to aks if their big tiller is compatible. If not, there's some guys around who can fabricate an adapter that will allow the big tiller to bolt up to your 25. Bear in mind you'll have to tinker with throttle and shift cables to get the rights lengths to work correctly.
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-14-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Best decision I ever made was selling my SD.

I built a Gator Trax mud hull back in '05. Tunnel hull 1844 that I ran an older yamaha 40 on a jack plate for years until I bought a Gator Tail 35 for it. It was a little faster with the outboard, but not by too terribly much. That thing would go just about anywhere my friends with SDs would go, except grass. I've contemplated getting another larger outboard for it, but haven't found the right deal. I wouldn't hesitate to put another outboard on a mud hull. I know that when I built mine, GT sold an outboard package that had more support or something, and would only rate the hull up to 40 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Best decision I ever made was selling my SD.
    If only the other 1,999,000 surface drive owners would do the same.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    What good would it do for them to sell them? Then you’d have a whole new group of idiots with SD.

Thank you
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    What good would it do for them to sell them? Then you’d have a whole new group of idiots with SD.
    You are also correct
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Bo, people need them to get in to the canals to sit on the dikes

Update: installed the breakaway this week and headed to the river yesterday afternoon after work. I might have the motor mounted too high on the plate because as I’m accelerating eventually the prop will start over spinning and losing speed unless I’m trimmed down as far as I can get.

Anyone know if I’m right on why the prop is blowing out?

It sounds like it’s too high. Lower it a hole at a time and continue to test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you putting it on a break away plate? All 25s that I've ever seen kick up on their own. Setting your motor farther back without raising it seems pointless if it can already kick up.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Why are you putting it on a break away plate? All 25s that I've ever seen kick up on their own. Setting your motor farther back without raising it seems pointless if it can already kick up.
    It's got tilt and trim, aka no kick up, hence the two buttons right by the throttle

Thats correct. The tilt/trim doesn't allow for it to kick up by itself.

My experience with these is that that hull has a rounded transom in the rear. The rounded chine makes for hydrodynamic drag in that the surface tension continues to pull the transom downward. I think that this motor will never reach its potentially that hull, if it is in fact a rounded transom. The surface drive Go-Devil boats and others like ProDrive do better with outboards because the transom has a sharp and in the case of the ProDrive extended transom for hydrodynamic lift. Not to mention that that GoDevil hull is notorious for the foam along the gunnels getting water logged and heavy. If you are going to stick with an outboard, it may be better for you to start searching for a different hull. Having had a SD on a non-SD boat and vice versa, I can tell you there is a reason behind the science. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Yeah I've heard that the rounded transom isn't the best for outboards, but it ran really well with the motor mounted straight on the transom the day I bought it and really lost performance with the plate installed. I did put it on the 3rd hole so I'm going to try 2nd and see how that works.

Checked bottom vs cavitation heights today during lunch. It looks like it’s lined up but that’s because of the tapered transom it’s really something like 3-4” above the bottom of the boat. I’m going to move it down as low as it can go and test it out.