Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermal scope or night vision scope?

Default Thermal scope or night vision scope?

Looking at getting something in the $1000 and under range. I know ATN makes a scope for night hunting but are there other ones out there just as good or better?

Going to use it on the hog and coyote population. It’ll ride on top of a 300BO suppressed SBR in all likelihood unless I decide to get a 6.5grendel or 6.8 SPC II upper.

Just looking for opinions as to what the best bang for my money will be.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I'd up my budget or you'll probably get pissed and have a $1000 paper weight

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'd up my budget or you'll probably get pissed and have a $1000 paper weight
    Go ahead and say it SW I know you want to. Go be poor somewhere else. So there
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I’ve read numerous comments on a coyote hunting forum saying ‘skip the ATN’, primarily based on ‘piss-poor service’, and go with the Sightmark Wraith. But get a better IR light to go with it.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I've read pretty much the same as WSC. The Sightmark Wraith for a budget scope. Everything I've seen says the IR is only good out to 150... 200 is pushing it for the one that comes with it.

Atn Thor thermal is pretty sweet. But you can’t really shoot anything past 200 with it either....several of my buddies have it and have no complaints....I’m saving up to buy one. ATN has a clip on thermal version coming out in June/July that you can mount on a normal scope
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I have to agree that upping your budget will relieve your frustration later on. I was in the same boat as you and went cheap. I wasn't happy and after seeing my buddies new thermal I was done. In the $1500 range you can get an ATN Thermal and be happy about it. A lot of great features as well. I think between my friends and myself we own 7 ATN thermal scopes and 1 monocular. Only 1 has been back fro service and that was just recently.

My opinion is to holler at whosis that is always posting high end scopes on here and see what he can get you...

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    Atn Thor thermal is pretty sweet. But you can’t really shoot anything past 200 with it either....several of my buddies have it and have no complaints....I’m saving up to buy one. ATN has a clip on thermal version coming out in June/July that you can mount on a normal scope
    I have the pulsar clip on thermal. I think it's called the core or something like that. I had an ATN and they are junk. You really do get what you pay for.

I own the ATN X-Sight II. The complaints I have:

1. Using it as a day time scope it's not near as clear as a regular scope.
    2. A .223 doesn't have enough recoil to make the auto record come on.
    3. You have to use an external battery for it.

A good friend of mine has a few of the ATN 4k's and they are better. So far he hasn't had any problems out of his.

I have used an ATN Thor and my NV side by side while hog hunting. There were times that I could see the hogs with the NV that I couldn't with the thermal and times that I could see them with the thermal that I couldn't with the NV. At the end of the day if money wasn't an issue I would use NV for shooting and thermal for spotting. I agree that if you have $1,000 I would work a few shifts of OT and put another $400 with it and buy something in that range if you want thermal. If you like NV I think the ATN 4k is pretty nice.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 05-15-2020 at 06:18 PM.

i would like to get into the NV game soon.

Also be prepared to get a nice tripod if you want to put a NV or thermal on an AR. I have a BOG and it is awesome.

Hit up SW338

He is a thermal guru

Default Thermal scope or night vision scope?

Bumping this one back up. I’m in the market now and looking for recommendations in the $1500 or less range.

I was looking at this one but really just started the research and search.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020799995?pid=205337

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 07-11-2020 at 10:53 AM.

I have an ATN Xsight 4K pro that is basically brand new, never used it but mounted it on an AR. I have the box and everything. I will let it go for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    I have an ATN Xsight 4K pro that is basically brand new, never used it but mounted it on an AR. I have the box and everything. I will let it go for $600.
    Why didn't you use it
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Why didn't you use it
    I got out of the club I was in that had hogs and that’s what I bought it for. Plus I just haven’t had the time to get it set up.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Bumping this one back up. I’m in the market now and looking for recommendations in the $1500 or less range.

I was looking at this one but really just started the research and search.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020799995?pid=205337

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A friend has one of those. I looked through it at dark and was not impressed at all. Maybe it was a bad one?? Another guy in our club has one that cost about $2500 and it is pretty amazing. It was also an ATN but a different model. $1500 is a lot to spend without looking through one.

The ATN 4K pro works very well but you need a more powerful IR light than the one that comes with it.......unless you shooting under100 yards. A stronger light is just better
    Last edited by CWPINST; 07-12-2020 at 11:14 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    A friend has one of those. I looked through it at dark and was not impressed at all. Maybe it was a bad one?? Another guy in our club has one that cost about $2500 and it is pretty amazing. It was also an ATN but a different model. $1500 is a lot to spend without looking through one.

The ATN 4K pro works very well but you need a more powerful IR light than the one that comes with it.......unless you shooting under100 yards. A stronger light is just better
    The LT is supposed to be the same as the THOR 4, but without the bells and whistles. I know that a lot of people do go with a stronger IR on the ATN's, but I must have just gotten a good one because I can see well over 200-300 yards with mine.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Sm peepaw. He is up to date on this topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?