Thread: Bows and belted Magnums

Default Bows and belted Magnums

The thread on the 7mm magnum got me thinking...why is it that we champion DRT calibers yet at the same time we brag on killing a deer with a bow. Has this always been the case or did Facebook cause us to move to the extremes as a way of separating ourselves from the ordinary? We risk a lost deer to say we've killed one with a bow but can't let one run 40 years because it was shot with a .308 instead of .300 WSM? Or, is it just people being people?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

People being people.

I routinely hunt with a guy that shoots a 7mm and I DRT way more with my .25-06 than he does
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

It's a difference in expectations and desires. A DRT with a rifle somehow means it's a superior round or "build" or speaks to the skill of the shooter. It's about shot placement not caliber. But a I don't see anything wrong with a double lung shot deer, bow or rifle.
    Last edited by Glenn; 05-13-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Glenn can correct this if I am wrong - I listened to a pretty well known Deer Biologist "expert" some year ago state that a Whitetail deer has one of fastest adrenal glands . No matter what you shoot, if the deer is able to stay on it's feet for 3, 4, 5 seconds or longer, they can cover some serious ground distance. In some of the places a lot of us hunt, a hundred yards can mean a difficult recovery job.

That said, I have killed deer with arrows that were DRT. Spine hits , double lung and /or heart shots. I have also had arrow hit deer in the kill zone cover a 100 yards.. running dead of course, but leaving a good blood trail to follow. It's shot placement. Pin a deer's shoulders with a rifle or neck shoot one and it's DRT. Head shot - same deal.

I have never shot a deer in the neck with a bow. Shot placement trumps all. ( I have also never intentionally shot a deer in the ham)... nor will I. My days as an archer are over I think. Unless I put for in and draw an Elk permit in AZ... still trying and that would be fun.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

No matter how you spin it, it's still a sport even if you're eating everything including the eyeballs. If you're going to analyze it like this, then why is considered unethical to take anything less than a perfect shot on a deer but it's perfectly acceptable to shoot at flying game?

I’ve DRT good sized bucks with a 90grn NBT out of a .243, i shot does in the same spot with a .300wm or 7mmRM and has them go 50-70yds with blood everywhere. I’ve also blown big ass holes in them and DRT with the mags and looked for hours with the other. Anybody that says they bang flop everyone is either lying or doesn’t shoot many deer.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’ve DRT good sized bucks with a 90grn NBT out of a .243, i shot does in the same spot with a .300wm or 7mmRM and has them go 50-70yds with blood everywhere. I’ve also blown big ass holes in them and DRT with the mags and looked for hours with the other. Anybody that says they bang flop everyone is either lying or doesn’t shoot many deer.
    THIS
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Dats right.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Are we doing the discretion thing with deer this year too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Are we doing the discretion thing with deer this year too?
    Venison is going to be added to a lot of menus this year. Book it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.