Thread: Trolling rig set ups.....upgrade or not

Default Trolling rig set ups.....upgrade or not

After being in the offshore tourney game for 15yrs.....slowly getting back into it.

Current boat is a Pioneer 197...which is capable offshore on flat days but honestly your best bet will be nearshore for kings and bottom fishing.

Sold off all of my big game stuff and only currently have a set of (5) Penn 330 GTI on Ande Medium 20-50# 6ft rods.

As little as I get out there.....would you upgrade to A) TLDs with more meat and not level wind b) something with higher gear ratio for kings/dolphin?

I will have boat at the coast June-July so prob have a good bit of fishing coming up.

Good cheaper setups are TLD 20’s on Ugly Stick boat rods.

I’ve got one of those leftover I’d sell. Also got a FinNor Santiago 16 on a Penn Senator I’d sell. TLD has upgraded power handle.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

A TLD 30 is a great all around reel without breaking the bank.

The 20s are good too.

Yep - TLD 20s, 25s, 30s will pull most anything you can hook trolling, and make perfect grouper rods.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

TLD 30’s are the KRT or trolling rods.

Think I might move up to TLD 15/20s ... keep my rods.

I fished tld 15's for years for kings, dolphin and sails- caught wahoo, giant AJs and some pretty big sharks on them no problem- and caught a blue marlin on a tld 20.

Now saying that- you can get Penn combo squall lever drag 50's online delivered for $175 each brand new- holds 500 yds of 30 or 450 of 40 and over 20 lbs of drag still keeping freespool- mine have 450 of 40 and strike is set at 10lbs with full scaling 19-20

Go with the TLD 20s