Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft Shell Crab

Default Soft Shell Crab

Sandwiches for dinner tonight, just pulled out a few.
    Will fry up a handful of fresh Carolina shrimp to go with them.

Soft Shell.JPG

My favorite food. Only got them twice this year.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

They boys had a trap out the other day. Damn thing has about 40 in it, 11 were soft shell.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    They boys had a trap out the other day. Damn thing has about 40 in it, 11 were soft shell.
    I’ve seen crabbers set up a table with fresh water flowing over it, just enough water to cover the crabs to get them to molt quicker. This was in Steinhatche

Anyone have a good connection to get them? I will take them frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    What were the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    I’ve seen crabbers set up a table with fresh water flowing over it, just enough water to cover the crabs to get them to molt quicker. This was in Steinhatche
    Those were tables for the "peelers", a peeler sheds its shell and becomes a soft shell.
    A peeler is a virgin crab and will do this until bred and then doesn't do it again.
    When I lived in Hatteras, I had a neighbor on the sound side, he ran 200 crab pots and had Peeler tables in his back yard
    with lights over it and monitored them. Had pvc pipe and a pump bringing water from the canal to the tables.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 05-10-2020 at 09:24 PM.

oh, and they were wonderful

IMG_5094[8643].jpg

IMG_5095[8642].jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 05-10-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    What were the rest?
    Just regular old hard shell blue crabs. Don’t think they had one under legal. The adults cooked them up and fed the kids pizza. They’d netted a bunch of big mullet earlier the day before. That trap had more bait in it than a Deadliest Catch boat.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Softshells are divine. Definitely one more reason to live near the Coast. We dang sure don't get them over here.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Never ate one.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I only ate like two real ones this year, frozen ain't the same.. but I'll still eat the tar out of them, and they're pretty easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Never ate one.
    I tried them once. Don’t know if it is me, or the cook, or bad crab, but it was like eating a $hit sammitch.

Me and lil’ Jake....#neveragain
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I've had a couple few.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Never had one either. I def would try one given the chance

Before I became a lineman almost 13 yrs ago I worked as a striker on a crab boat, picked oysters harvested horseshoes, etc.
    we didn’t start peeler fishing intentionally until my last spring with that dude. The best bait for a peeler crab is to put a Jimmy in the baitwell. We had a dude that had peeler tables that would harvest horseshoes also. He’d bring us endless sandwiches every night! I haven’t had on since though!
    867-5309

Dammit I love a soft shell.

Only had them once this year
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I like them guts out versus guts in

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Before I became a lineman almost 13 yrs ago I worked as a striker on a crab boat, picked oysters harvested horseshoes, etc.
    we didn’t start peeler fishing intentionally until my last spring with that dude. The best bait for a peeler crab is to put a Jimmy in the baitwell. We had a dude that had peeler tables that would harvest horseshoes also. He’d bring us endless sandwiches every night! I haven’t had on since though!
    How often did you check traps with that tactic?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    How often did you check traps with that tactic?
    Depended on demand but no more than every other day. We’d put one menhaden in the baitwell too. Close the cull rings to if you don’t have peeler pots. Some weeks we’d run them every day. We’d usually catch 5-600 or more peelers running 100 traps. It’s been a while man! Lol
    867-5309