Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goal

Default Goal

I want to be able to run seven miles and bench 315 in the same day. My goal on the running will basically be without stopping. I ran three the other day average pace of 10:40( so pretty slow). I was hurting too. How much should I increase my miles per week?
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Not that you’re going for a marathon, but this should help:

https://www.military.com/military-fi...-for-marathons

Also, great job on setting goals!
    Last edited by abarill; 05-08-2020 at 08:19 AM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

how do you stand on the bench?

Default Goal

PD,
    Before you ran the three miles had you been running at all? And when you say you were hurting, was it muscular vs joints? If muscular, you likely overdid it just a bit but should recover in a few days. I have run off and on a fair amount and am currently averaging 12/15 miles a week with 7 miles being the furthest I run and generally my long runs are 5. I average a 7:30-7:50 mile on long runs and can run 1-2 mile runs sub 7 minutes. I had to work my way i to where I am at currently over probably 6 months.
    In your case I suggest waiting a few days and having at it again and maybe focus on 1-2 miles. Do 1-2 miles 2/3 days a week as long as it feels right for several weeks then up to three. Thats basically what I did. 2 miles 3x week, 3 miles 3x week for a bit then started throwing in some 4-7 miles in the mix. Once you are running 5-6 miles strongly, 3 is a piece of cake.
    A few things I would recommend:
    -Nike Run club app. Its free and records your times and distances for tracking goals. You can set distances prior to runs and it will tell you your mile marks and split times. There is also a coach function that you can put in your goal of running 7 miles along with a date to accomplish and it will set a routine for you. I use the coach some, but I prefer to just run how I feel and not off a program as I do not like sprints etc.
    -get good shoes! I used to run in any old tennis shoe (or new) and that seemed okay for 1-3 miles a few times a week. Then as the distances got longer and a particular pair of shoes I had was wearing out and I was hurting I bit the bullet and went to fleet feet to get evaluated for my stride, step, etc. $180 later I had my first pair of strictly running shoes and 3-4 pairs of short compression socks. I now only run in those shoes and nothing else and it has absolutely helped.
    -wear proper clothing (to prevent chafing!!)
    -Stretch! Lightly prior to run, warm up a little. Good deep stretches after run. Focusing on problem areas. I also use a foam roller and it helps. If you dont stretch you will be prone to injury. Listen to your body.
    -mix in strength training exercises. Squats/lunges.
    -hydrate and eat the right foods that will give you the energy you need for the run pre and post.
    -ear buds/music helps me.
    -have fun, celebrate the gains!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 05-08-2020 at 08:40 AM.

Spend the money and buy good shoes. Hoka shoes have helped me a lot. Stretch a lot, especially in your feet. I have been dealing with plantar facitis for a few years and it all stemmed from poor stretching and shitty shoes.
    cut\'em

I wouldn't increase more than 1 mile per week, and that is backed by some smart running folks training advice. That is also After you get to where you can run that 3 miles or whatever your starting point is everyday basically, 5-6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Spend the money and buy good shoes. Hoka shoes have helped me a lot. Stretch a lot, especially in your feet. I have been dealing with plantar facitis for a few years and it all stemmed from poor stretching and shitty shoes.
    My pf is pretty bad. Sounds corny but the dr scholls pf insoles have helped a lot
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

You've got it no problem. Throw in a squat goal too.

1 long run a week, 1 short run, and sprints one day.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I played football in high school and was in good shape, but I hated running. Later on, after a few years of not working out, I was about 40lbs heavier than when I graduated. So I got back into the weight room, but I knew I was going to need cardio to kick the weight. I started running and still hated it, but I was losing weight so I kept it up. I was using a training program was developed by a group of physicians, nutritionists, and physical fitness experts, that recommended only increasing distance by .25 miles per week. Of course I knew better than them, and was increasing about a mile a week, starting from zero miles. Ended up injured from over stressing certain muscles in my leg. It put me down for a while and continued to flare up when I got back into it. Got to the point where I don’t run long distance anymore because of it.

All that to say, it’s great to push yourself, and you should, but don’t go faster than the body can handle. You need to test your limits, but I was testing them every workout, and that just isn’t sustainable. You’ll get there, but there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it.
    Last edited by wskinner; 05-08-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    My pf is pretty bad. Sounds corny but the dr scholls pf insoles have helped a lot
    I am in several different pairs of inserts including some custom insoles. They all help. Stretching helps the most coupled with weight loss.
    cut\'em

The bench is the hurdle. Don't work on running, but work on the bench. Once you get your bench to 315, get Glenn to chase you with a baseball bat. & miles won't be an issue
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I just have never really run long distance before. I think the longest that I ever ran was probably five years ago I ran 6 miles as basically a bet. I have always run one to two just playing around in summer, but it was never easy. I have also never until recently used the under armor app to time myself as well as true distances. I have realized how slow I am running. I spend the majority of my time lifting weights and haveBeen using the elliptical through duck season and would go 7 miles on it with no problem. However, it is no comparison to running. I basically just want to get in better cardio shape for total health. This past winter I was able to benchpress 225 for 24 to 26 times depending on the day. The highest I went was 285 for a couple reps. I don’t think I can do that now since I’ve just been using dumbbells. The biggest hurdle for me will be running because I’m slow as molasses at these long runs since I’ve basically been just doing sprints and other cardio my whole life. The guys at work do a lot of cycling....I’m kind of interested in that. I have been running a few days a week 2 miles and I usually sprint the last half a mile. So 3 miles was as far as I have gone in the last couple years. I’m running in shoes that I bought on in the ER rotation five years ago… So I ordered some on cloud the other day. Thanks for the help I will keep y’all updated in my slow runs. Anybody run in the OC shoes? I’m 5’ 10’’ 205
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    I just have never really run long distance before. I think the longest that I ever ran was probably five years ago I ran 6 miles as basically a bet. I have always run one to two just playing around in summer, but it was never easy. I have also never until recently used the under armor app to time myself as well as true distances. I have realized how slow I am running. I spend the majority of my time lifting weights and haveBeen using the elliptical through duck season and would go 7 miles on it with no problem. However, it is no comparison to running. I basically just want to get in better cardio shape for total health. This past winter I was able to benchpress 225 for 24 to 26 times depending on the day. The highest I went was 285 for a couple reps. I don’t think I can do that now since I’ve just been using dumbbells. The biggest hurdle for me will be running because I’m slow as molasses at these long runs since I’ve basically been just doing sprints and other cardio my whole life. The guys at work do a lot of cycling....I’m kind of interested in that. I have been running a few days a week 2 miles and I usually sprint the last half a mile. So 3 miles was as far as I have gone in the last couple years. I’m running in shoes that I bought on in the ER rotation five years ago… So I ordered some on cloud the other day. Thanks for the help I will keep y’all updated in my slow runs. Anybody run in the OC shoes? I’m 5’ 10’’ 205
    Doesn't matter if it's slow, just keep moving. OC's are nice, but I'd highly recommend going to a Fleet Feet or the like and get into some shoes that are the proper fit etc. for you. I did this at a friend's recommendation and only wished I'd done it several years prior. Good Luck!

By the way, I Hate running.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 05-08-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's slow, just keep moving. OC's are nice, but I'd highly recommend going to a Fleet Feet or the like and get into some shoes that are the proper fit etc. for you. I did this at a friend's recommendation and only wished I'd done it several years prior. Good Luck!

2nd FleetFeet. They go outside with you and watch your stride and then customize a shoe for your foot. I thought it would be ridiculously expensive, but it was about the same price as any other shoes.

Not what you were seeking, but I would suggest sprints if you want to be in better cardio shape and improve overall fitness. It’s better for maintaining and building muscle and generally puts less stress on your joints.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post

I did the same and recommended it above as well. They put me in a pair of brooks and I immediately felt better during and after runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thirds on fleet feet.
    cut\'em

Lack of stretching and all weights for many years makes it tough to distance run. I have converted to mostly running now. Plenty of injuries, wore all the name brand running shoes from Brooks to Hoka and bought all the orthotics. Had a gait analysis done in Columbia ($150) andI am in Altra now which is a zero drop shoe with a wide toe box. Best I have felt running in a long time. Alternate a running day with a bicycle day, it will help work your legs in a different way and keep you more engaged for longer distance runs. Good luck, find a group of guys to run with. Plenty of F3 or running groups around the state to join in with.

OC makes a couple different pairs........one of them is a little better for running, but I'd suggest going a getting a better pair. I run in Brooks Ghost and have for several years. Go to Fleet Feet.

Before I go, I sit in my kitchen and stretch. Plenty of sitting down and grabbing my toes for 10 seconds at a time, stepping onto a curb or step and holding it for 10 seconds, etc.... The best thing I've ever done was buy a roller. I don't use foam, but rather a hard plastic ball one. I roll calves and thighs before and after.

I might walk the first 1/4 mile after I stretch and then I'll proceed to run 3-4 miles and once I get home I repeat the entire stretching process over again. I run anywhere from 4 to 5 days a week Monday - Friday. I take the weekends off.

Don't get wrapped up in pace......find something that is comfortable and allows you to breathe well and keep going. I usually run 8:00 - 8:30 miles.

Anyway, have fun!

If you’re benching 225 24 to 26 in a single go then 315 is to low of a goal