Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCDNR tracking app for ruffed grouse

Default SCDNR tracking app for ruffed grouse

If you live or recreate in Pickens, Oconee, and even northern Greenville county you can help SCDNR track ruffed grouse with this app:

https://schtportal.dnr.sc.gov/portal...c-survey-forms

Just click on the ruffed grouse image to download to your 'puter or phone. Thanks.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Nitz - lets trade a lowcountry duck hunt for a mountain grouse hunt.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Done...just let me know when you are up this way

Thanks for the update. I've been all over Oconee, Pickens, and Greenville counties turkey hunting and have yet to see a grouse. When I was a kid (60's-70's) I would rarely bump one trout fishing.

Id love to put my Draht on one. Might give me another reason to go camp in the mountains
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Id love to put my Draht on one. Might give me another reason to go camp in the mountains
    Same here. I need tk get the bearded mutt out more this year

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

to anyone who might be looking for grouse hunting opportunities in SC, they are doing a lot of cutting on the Sumter NF. THat will make for some great habitat in hopefully less than a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    Same here. I need tk get the bearded mutt out more this year

Arent you in sumter now? Need to get the two together this fall for skme bird hunting
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Arent you in sumter now? Need to get the two together this fall for skme bird hunting
    I am and I'm always down. He needs to get out for sure

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

THe forest service is at it around Sumter NF...nuff said. I was out there today checking it out. There will be some good quail and grouse habitat in 3-5 years...not to mention deerah and turkay.
    Last edited by Duck Nitz; 05-14-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    THe forest service is at it around Long Creek...nuff said. I was out there todaychecking it out. There will be some good quail and grouse habitat in 3-5 years...not to mention deerah and turkay.
    That’s good stuff

how does habitat relate to having grouse?

I'll hang up and listen.
    thanks
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how does habitat relate to having grouse?

I'll hang up and listen.
    thanks
    if you believe that early successional forestry practices (cutting a certain amount of old growth forest) improves the habitat for all critters and not just grouse, then its that simple. They are doing prescribed burns and are clear cutting up there, and that will improve the places that grouse can move to and thrive. SC has a grouse population that has decreased in the areas over the last 30-40 years due to changes in farming and not implementing ESF practices in my opinion. This is especially good for South Carolina to be actively managing the WMA land by cutting and burning because NC is too skeered to do any cutting in the Pisgah and Nantahala due to the environmentalist contingency. That's the word on the skreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Nitz View Post
    if you believe that early successional forestry practices (cutting a certain amount of old growth forest) improves the habitat for all critters and not just grouse, then its that simple. They are doing prescribed burns and are clear cutting up there, and that will improve the places that grouse can move to and thrive. SC has a grouse population that has decreased in the areas over the last 30-40 years due to changes in farming and not implementing ESF practices in my opinion. This is especially good for South Carolina to be actively managing the WMA land by cutting and burning because NC is too skeered to do any cutting in the Pisgah and Nantahala due to the environmentalist contingency. That's the word on the skreet.
    Duck Nitz has it right. 20-25 years ago where I hunted in Pisgah NF, those cuts were 10-20 years old. In a days hunting, it was not uncommon to find/flush 10 or more grouse. If you go to those same spots today, they are 40 years old and grouse are largely gone. Finding “new” cuts in the 10-20 year age class is virtually impossible. Most areas of the NC forest have been invaded by eco tourism and all that comes with it except active forest management and hunting. Conservation is losing the battle while preservationists and their environmental lawyers are winning.

I never grouse hunted in SC but would see a few each year just being out in the mountains. It has been at least 4 years since I saw one in SC. I am glad to see the forests being actively managed again. It is a very positive thing. There once was also good quail hunting too. One of the largest coveys I ever found was on Sumter NF in Oconee county in a 3 year old clear cut. That cut is over 35 years old now and planted in pines. It has been thinned once I think. It needs a prescribed burn badly.

If you really want to kill grouse, you must go north.

I'd almost feel bad about shooting one if they're that rare... I mean I would, then I'd eat the shit out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'd almost feel bad about shooting one if they're that rare... I mean I would, then I'd eat the shit out of him.
    i think you are supposed to eat the breast, legs and wings...

I will bring you the next one that flies into the side of the house...

Gross

*to mudminnow

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Duck Nitz has it right. 20-25 years ago where I hunted in Pisgah NF, those cuts were 10-20 years old. In a days hunting, it was not uncommon to find/flush 10 or more grouse. If you go to those same spots today, they are 40 years old and grouse are largely gone. Finding “new” cuts in the 10-20 year age class is virtually impossible. Most areas of the NC forest have been invaded by eco tourism and all that comes with it except active forest management and hunting. Conservation is losing the battle while preservationists and their environmental lawyers are winning.

I never grouse hunted in SC but would see a few each year just being out in the mountains. It has been at least 4 years since I saw one in SC. I am glad to see the forests being actively managed again. It is a very positive thing. There once was also good quail hunting too. One of the largest coveys I ever found was on Sumter NF in Oconee county in a 3 year old clear cut. That cut is over 35 years old now and planted in pines. It has been thinned once I think. It needs a prescribed burn badly.

If you really want to kill grouse, you must go north.
    But yeah. Graham and Swain counties have been long term ecologically ruined by the Feds. The "it will always be like this" mentality has seen vast swaths of timber perish to infestations with the worst timber replacing it. Perhaps it will sort itself out in 500 years, but oh my what it was and what it could have been...