Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranking Issue

Default Cranking Issue

Motor: 2003 Yamaha F115

Motor will frequently not crank. Doesn’t turn over, doesn’t click, nothing. Literally like the battery switch is turned off. After continuing to turn the key 6-7 times it’ll crank right up.

I’ll put the earmuffs on in the yard before I head out and it’ll crank. Get to the landing and it won’t do anything. Run it to where ever I am going, turn it off for several hours, go to crank it and same thing might happen.

We have a Perko switch, tilt and trim still work when the motor isn’t cranking so I know power is getting to the motor. Replace the starting assist relay on Saturday thinking that was the issue and it didn’t solve anything.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Starter itself?

Maybe the key switch?

Loose ground?

Ground and/or bad battery cables

Relay would have been my first guess, then starter itself.
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 05-07-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Ground and/or bad battery cables
    My guess as well from the description. Check all your connections from the starter back to the ignition switch.

In the words of my deceased uncle “ a bad ground will kick your ass”
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Check the ground lug. Double nut the SOB when you tighten it back up.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Can someone tell me where the ground lug would be? Is the the bolt that the black wire from the starter assist relay is grounded to?
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

There's two very expensive fuses under the cowling - one active and one backup in a dummy slot. It wouldn't hurt to swap those two and see if the problem goes away. If so, replace the fuse that was in the active slot.

But, it sounds like you might have a corroded connection somewhere. Maybe it gets better or worse as you move the motor up or down.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Can someone tell me where the ground lug would be? Is the the bolt that the black wire from the starter assist relay is grounded to?
    What's it on? Should be a black cable coming from the engine to a bar. That's your ground lug. Causes all sorts of funny stuff if it's not tight.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

56ABFF00-14D6-42BE-A6F4-B5368514EB08.jpg

ACEDB708-9789-440B-9EFE-273ED7E505A5.jpg

Not sure if these will upload but I checked but grounds circled in the pics. Also not sure if those were the correct ones to check. Anyway, both bolts were tight and there was not corrosion.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

Bad switch,try hot wiring the starter.
    Last edited by tsigmon; 05-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    Bad switch,try hot wiring the starter.
    It’ll crank if if I hot wire it.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

Corrosion somewhere in the switch wiring maybe , try cleaning terminals on back of the switch if its a plug and play. I had a similar issue years ago and it drove me crazy , a new switch cured my problem.

Sounds like either a bad switch or bad wiring/ connections, or a combination thereof. There's some bullets connectors right near the ignition switch itself, start there and also check the main 10 pin connector under the cowling. It's the harness from the throttle assembly where the ignition switch is, that runs back and connects to the motor itself. Get someone else to help then you turn the key on the ignition switch and have the other person shake wires until something happens. Might help identify where your bad connection is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-08-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I pray it’s not the ignition switch itself. Whoever owned this boat before had really made a mess of the wiring.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

Pull the kill switch and try to crank it for 15 or 20 seconds, then go feel around for a hot connection.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 05-08-2020 at 09:39 AM.

Bad switch or relay going out. I had this happen on a 60 and an F70
    For the ducks

Happened to me Sunday. 2016 Yamaha Sho max 115. Was the fuse and they stated the wire running to the fuse on motor was loose.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"