Thread: Metal building/garage

Default Metal building/garage

I'm looking into having a metal garage built. Probably going to be 24 x 30ish. I'm worried about the building having condensation inside of it. I had a guy tell me that if I put plastic under the concrete area before having it poured that it'll stop all the condensation. Is there any truth to that?

How much does adding insulation to the top actually help these stand alone buildings? It'll get full sun pretty much all day until around 4-5 in the summer then it'll get a little shade. Any color buildings better for not getting as hot? It'll basically hold tools and toys. It'll have electric and water but not be used for anything where I'll need AC.

The plastic under the slab won't stop condensation on the inside, but will probably stop your slab from "sweating", actually wicking moisture from under it. If you put some vents in it so it can breathe it will help a lot with the actual building having condensate on it. They actually have some metal (for the roof) now with a backing on it sort of like a thin felt layer that's supposed to stop the condensation on the inside of your roof.

mine has plastic under concrete and the foil looking insulation that they put in all af them and I don't have any condensation problems
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Get metal with DripX on the bottom side. It is like a felt material that prevents condensation.

Also, you absolutely want to put a moisture barrier under your concrete as well.

I have a 30x30 and don't have anything under my slab with zero issues. Insulation in the roof is a must. I used foam board and have been very satisfied.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

I have a 30x40x14 with vapor barrier under concrete with no condensation issues. Getting ready to do foam board under roof and some eave vents/fans because that mutha gets hot.

I built a 30'x50' and closed in a 16'x30' section and made into 2 BR's. Did Full Open Cell Spray Foam in all Walls and Ceiling of BR's. There is literally water that runs down the Walls during certain Climate Conditions(Hotter today than yesterday, Colder today than yesterday). The space is only conditioned when we are there, can walk in and there's condensation on the walls.

I put Plastic under the Concrete, and in the BR's used Laminate with another Plastic Barrier. None of the Floors show any signs of Moisture.

All this may not help, but bottom line, if it is not conditioned 100% of the time, it is going to show signs of moisture regardless of what you do.

I have a 20x30 on order with vapor barrier under the roof. Its going to sweat, I just want it to roll off down the sides, and not drip on my stuff. I will probably insulate it at some point.

They call it a vapor barrier for a reason.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMSTICK069 View Post
    I have a 30x30 and don't have anything under my slab with zero issues. Insulation in the roof is a must. I used foam board and have been very satisfied.
    I don't remember gravel sizes, but if you have at least about a 3/4" size stone several inches thick under your slab you can often avoid the sweating problem, but that plus a vapor barrier is best. If your slab is directly on the dirt, you must have pretty dry ground.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Thanks guys.