Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery shooting in GA

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Georgia law is pretty clear on what actions, conditions and circumstances are required to prosecute a murder charge.

What the video shows is a homicide. Big difference in Murder vs Homicide. Murders are planned. I doubt the McMichaels planned to kill this guy.

Once all the evidence is reviewed by a Grand Jury, expect this case to be prosecuted as a Manslaughter charge. Of that , these two cretins are guilty. The evidence released so far is that Arbery was shot 3 times.

Now, whether they will be convicted on Manslaughter charges is for the jury to decide. It's a bad deal. Manslaughter penalty can be up to 20 years to serve. Much easier to prove a manslaughter charge than a murder charge.
    Bingo!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Saw a news article that stood out. This was a letter from the DA.

I believe we have the majority of the information at our office. There is a decent cell phone video of the entire shooting incident, also video of Arbery burglarizing a home immediately preceding the chase and confrontation. We have a witness list and have done research we would include with the file to be available for the new prosecutor's use if desired.
    Saw that this morning as well, but still doesn’t justify the actions seen in the video in this thread by the words of the law.

The clip is from a letter written by one of the DA’s that recuses themselves from the case. It also references that the victim had a juvenile and adult felon records and the reason this DA was recusing himself had to do with some sort of link between either himself or his son and the suspects in the case having previously prosecuted the victim.
    The father suspect worked for the PD and DAs office as an investigator up until about a year ago when he retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Not exactly. I think you are using the term "planned" in place of "premeditation." That's typically what you would call 1st degree murder. Intentional murder, i.e., you intended to kill someone with malice aforethought without the requisite premeditation, is typically called 2d degree murder. That's likely the charge here, and it may stick based on that video b/c, IMO, arming yourself, getting in your truck and chasing someone down could be pretty clear evidence of "malice aforethought." And unless it's shown that the gun went off "accidentally," the act of pulling the trigger and shooting someone at point blank range is pretty good evidence of intent to kill.

I do think you are right that a manslaughter charge could come into play here based on what happened before that video begins. Particularly if there was some interaction at the shooter's house or something of that nature. But if these guys just saw the dude jogging, thought it looked like a burglar from a previous security cam video and took off after him to arrest or otherwise exact justice, I'd say murder is the right charge.
    Georgia law doesn't permit a " Second Degree Murder" charge. In Georgia the only charges can be Murder (which carries a minimum life sentence) , Voluntary Manslaughter (1-20 years of incarceration ) , Involuntary Manslaughter (up to 10 years in prison) in that order of severity.. ( if my memory and time on the Grand Jury is accurate).

If the charge of Murder sticks, it will be difficult to prove and get convictions. I think the McMichaels have been overcharged. Manslaughter is what they will ultimately be charged with and a Glynn County jury would hopefully convict them of.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Saw that this morning as well, but still doesn’t justify the actions seen in the video in this thread by the words of the law.

The clip is from a letter written by one of the DA’s that recuses themselves from the case. It also references that the victim had a juvenile and adult felon records and the reason this DA was recusing himself had to do with some sort of link between either himself or his son and the suspects in the case having previously prosecuted the victim.
    The father suspect worked for the PD and DAs office as an investigator up until about a year ago when he retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    King James needs to get that chronic knee-jerk issue corrected.

Not to seem like I'm sticking up for these folks, but are there really white folk that are dumb enough to gun down a black man who is simply jogging?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Not to seem like I'm sticking up for these folks, but are there really white folk that are dumb enough to gun down a black man who is simply jogging?
    If your time on this site hasn't taught you anything else it should have taught you that the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I heard they suspected him in connection with a string of robberies.

They were trying to make a citizens arrest.

If they were trying to stop him and he tried to take the gun away... what say ye?
    Shot him three times with a shotgun. What right did they have to stop him? Did they see him commit a crime. No!

it wasn't but a few years ago, a couple good ol boys in Texas tied a black man to the bumper of their truck and
    drug him around if I am not mistaken. All you have to do is watch the local news Bo and its a resounding "yes".

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If your time on this site hasn't taught you anything else it should have taught you that the answer to your question is a resounding "YES"!
    My faith in the world and mankind dwindle by the day
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Faith in man and mankind shouldn't exist. Faith in the Lord and keeping your eyes on Him is the only safe play.

We haven't been able to count on ourselves and each other since the great fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    Shot him three times with a shotgun. What right did they have to stop him? Did they see him commit a crime. No!
    Irrelevant if they saw him "jogging" out of the house with their flatscreen tv.

We, as a society, have decided that burglary doesn't carry the death penalty. Do we want to shoot shitbag thieves? Sure we do. However, in this country, we let the justice system run it's course or we are all quickly going to find out what lawlessness means. You city folk won't like it.

The DA saw that tape and knew that there was a previous relationship between the shooters and the deceased. He was a fucking idiot not to bring charges and let the system sort it out so that we didn't get here. Nobody wants to be here...

GBI is in charge now. They will get the evidence sorted out and make the case. They are truly topnotch.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Jeremiah 25:33 33At that time those slain by the LORD will be everywhere-from one end of the earth to the other. They will not be mourned or gathered up or buried, but will be like dung lying on the ground.

Thus the saying people are shit.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Irrelevant if they saw him "jogging" out of the house with their flatscreen tv.

We, as a society, have decided that burglary doesn't carry the death penalty. Do we want to shoot shitbag thieves? Sure we do. However, in this country, we let the justice system run it's course or we are all quickly going to find out what lawlessness means. You city folk won't like it.

The DA saw that tape and knew that there was a previous relationship between the shooters and the deceased. He was a fucking idiot not to bring charges and let the system sort it out so that we didn't get here. Nobody wants to be here...
    Good point, they didn't have a right to stop him.From my point of view.

Can a non-LEO detain and hold a burglary suspect at gun point if they are caught in the act?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I heard they suspected him in connection with a string of robberies.

They were trying to make a citizens arrest.

If they were trying to stop him and he tried to take the gun away... what say ye?
    In your scenario, the gun was brandished illegally. Therefore anything that happens after that is on the gun-owner.

So you are walking Along and someone pulls a gun on you, and illegally attempts to detain you. As you try to escape you must attempt to disarm them, Are you now committing the crime?
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I have done so in the past at the request of law enforcement, but I probably wouldn't today unless it was someone wanted for some serious shit...

The question now is, if there no video, there is no justice?
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/trey-g...ase-grand-jury

The question now is, if there no video, there is no justice?
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/trey-g...ase-grand-jury

Sorry ya'll but I'm going to disagree about this guy needing to die- it's proven by the FBI through questioning of felons that someone who commits burglary- especially of an occupied dwelling- knows there is a risk of confrontation and is prepared mentally to take any measures to escape, up to killing someone- the same holds true for armed robbers (proven that they have already mentally pictured their victim dead).

If the runner had gained control of the shotgun, and he went for it without hesitation, there would likely be 2 dead people- if not and he had just fled with the gun- then he would kill someone in the future.

While these guys broke the law and might be convicted- they were actually doing a service for the community.

Doing the right thing is not always legal- and doing the legal thing is not always right.