Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain/cable gate

Default Chain/cable gate

Needing to put up a few gates on a piece of property I lease. The land owner wants chain/cable type. Does anyone have a material list of what is needed?

Post, chain, locks

Ask your husband. I’m sure he’ll take care of it for you.

If you use a chain or cable, I would highly suggest you put a piece of pvc on it to make it more visible. A bare cable or chain is a lawsuit waiting to happen (even if someone hits it while trespassing).

TC is correct and I would paint it orange or at least put reflective tape and hang a NT sign on it so a vehicle doesn't run thru it.

A couple of 6x6’s and a 16’ cattle gate is a cheap option that looks good. The whole thing for $150 or less. It’ll take just long enough to dig the holes and it’s done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Ask your husband. I’m sure he’ll take care of it for you.
    I laughed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    If you use a chain or cable, I would highly suggest you put a piece of pvc on it to make it more visible. A bare cable or chain is a lawsuit waiting to happen (even if someone hits it while trespassing).
    Liability I would think is the same if it is marked or unmarked.

I’ve found people want to steal cattle gates but aren’t as motivated to steal a cable. As my Dad says, “gates only keep out honest people”. So if they want in, they will get in. Cable has worked good for our club to keep out the “honest folks”. We use 6x6’s for the posts and just a rigged up cable from one of the box stores using threaded i bolts. I screw up the threads after install so they are almost impossible to get off unless you cut them.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTATEWATERFOWLER View Post
    I’ve found people want to steal cattle gates but aren’t as motivated to steal a cable. As my Dad says, “gates only keep out honest people”. So if they want in, they will get in. Cable has worked good for our club to keep out the “honest folks”. We use 6x6’s for the posts and just a rigged up cable from one of the box stores using threaded i bolts. I screw up the threads after install so they are almost impossible to get off unless you cut them.
    That is kind of what I had in mind. Do you use any quickcrete? There is nothing there to steal. Just having trouble with people rutting up the roads and tearing up the fields.

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    That is kind of what I had in mind. Do you use any quickcrete? There is nothing there to steal. Just having trouble with people rutting up the roads and tearing up the fields.
    Never bothered with quickcrete, but before you put the 6x6 post in the hole just nail 10-12 nails in the bottom and fill the hole back. Once the ground hardens back nobody will be able to pull the post out the ground. These are great for a quick fix but the only people you will keep out are honest people who don't own a chainsaw.

Be sure to make the gate wide enough for any future logging operations to get in and out.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Westvaco used to use cables for their gates on all their property but swapped them out for gates within a year or two due to liability. That told me all I need to know about stringing cables across a road.

Years ago, I was a member of a dog club near Cottageville. It was on Westvaco land and had cables for gates. One day after a monsoon rain we were squirrel hunting from my little Volkswagon Beetle and started down a rutted up, boggy interior road with big deep canals on either side. Once we got started, we realized there was no turning back. If we didn't want to walk several miles out to get help, we had to make it to the road on the other side of the club. We skidded and slid down the twisting overgrown road at death defying speed through potholes and puddles that we couldn't believe we could get across. It was fun but scary as hell at the same time. Suddenly we rounded a turn and realized we were approaching the county-maintained boundary road just as the cable snapped tight on the windshield. It left grooves on the bezel of the windshield.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 05-06-2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Liability I would think is the same if it is marked or unmarked.
    Nope.
    Carolina Counsel

i love the good old usa and how its my fault if some dumbass doesnt see my chain.

thanks lawyers!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i love the good old usa and how its my fault if some dumbass doesnt see my chain.

thanks lawyers!
    My thoughts exactly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"a jury of your peers" kinda scares me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Nope.
    How so? Go ahead and teach me something.

please dont make him do it. he'll use 100 words to explain something that a normal person could do in 20. its what lawyers do. they talk and talk and talk till most people just say OK and stop listening.....

Kinda like a dentist