Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how often do you change line?

Default how often do you change line?

How often do you change your fishing line? If you don't fish much, how long can the line stay good?

Every 6 months to a year depending on how much you use it.

Mono? Braid?

General rule is twice a year, keep it out of sunlight and heat. Check for weak spots and frays, and tie a knot and test it. If you fish a lot then more like every few days. Lot of variables, you can buy brand new line that is no bueno as well.

Once when you buy the rod and once when your grandchildren start using it.

I’ve got braid that’s 10yrs old on reels. I inspect it and cut out bad every trip. You can also reverse it on a spool and get more out of it. Honestly the worst thing you can do and most people do do is get sunscreen on it, that’ll trash it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I keep my rods in then house or in the rod lockers on the boat, I change it when it gets low.

I change my flourocarbon about every month or two. Sometimes I just take the existing line off and reverse it. That's not hard to do with a small reel

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-05-2020 at 09:07 AM.

I change mine after every cast
    867-5309

^ha

and I agree with saltydog. I got braid that is easily 10 yrs old.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mono.....when the line memory gets out of control...….Braid.....once a year.
    Tight Lines

I know this is the saltwater forum but when I was fishing bass tournaments I changed my fluorocarbon every week braid once a month.

All my rods are stored indoors. I change line every couple month or so on floro. Every 2ish months on braid and mono is gross.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

How about spools of line that are not used? How long will line stay good?

Quote Originally Posted by FHF View Post
    How often do you change your fishing line? If you don't fish much, how long can the line stay good?
    What's the application?

Mono, change yearly and keep an eye on it if i need to change before that.

Braid, I've had 200lb braid on HST reels that are probably 10 years old. With others if its heavy enough, I will get hollowcore if I can, strip off what need replacing and splice more back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

How about spools of line that are not used? How long will line stay good?
    Depends on how it’s kept. Keep it in a conditioned environment with a constant RH that isn’t too dry and it’ll last a long time. Keep it in a hot shed or garage that has constant temp and humidity changes and it won’t last long at all. I keep remnant spoils of 60 & 80# to tie chicken rigs with. Some are 4-5yrs old and still strong as they ever were. Braid is spectra and is pretty temp and humidity stable. Like I said earlier, most of the time braid fails it’s either abraded, a poorly tied improper knot or sunscreen. That spray sunscreen will eat it up.

I had a guy on my boat spend 20 minutes tying on a leader then one of those $20.00 jigs. Before he dropped it he doused himself with Coppertone Sport. He grabbed his rod, flipped the bail and we watched his expensive jig become reef material. You want to spray down, head to the bow away from my rigs.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 05-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have some offshore reels that were spooled with 50# mono 5 years ago. I don't get a chance to go offshore much so I have not used but a few times, but it sounds like i should put new line on if i plan to go this season.

Next question.... I don't get to fish much, so what is the best line to re-spool with? Straight mono? Some type backing line then mono? I don't think i fish enough to put braid...Penn 30 wide reels & TLD 25

I have some offshore reels that were spooled with 50# mono 5 years ago. I don't get a chance to go offshore much so I have not used but a few times, but it sounds like i should put new line on if i plan to go this season.

Next question.... I don't get to fish much, so what is the best line to re-spool with? Straight mono? Some type backing line then mono? I don't think i fish enough to put braid...Penn 30 wide reels & TLD 25
    Trolling mono, bottom fishing back with mono, then 150-300yds of braid. Those are big ass reels to bottom fish with. Then again this could be another Union/Credit Union thread and you’re running a 65’ Spencer.

IMO, Momoi diamond.
    If you plan on keeping them a while, or want to keep line capacity and heavy mono(50lb), I would 65lb braid backing then a mono topshot. Braid backing will be fine for years and if you wanna replace the mono, all you have is a 100 yards to replace on the topshot.
    If you go the braid with mono topshot route and want to spool yourself, look up Basil at BHP tackle. He’ll precut/spool the braid to whatever length you want, splice your end loops you need if you don’t want to mess with it and his top shots are second to none.
    Last edited by buckpro; 05-05-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I used to change mine every year. I now use reel magic (can get at bps). Now I probably change every 4-5 years. I have no affiliation with the product but it is awesome. Also factors of storing your reels inside and regular use have an effect. Line that sits on a reel unused will obtain memory (mono).