Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing diver

Default Missing diver

Search Continues For SC Shark Tooth Diver Missing For More Than 3 Days Off Hilton Head

It’s the second time he’s been reported missing this year.

Published 3 days ago on May 1, 2020By Mandy Matney
    Diver Missing Hilton Head

For three days, crews have scoured the Port Royal Sound searching for missing North Charleston, South Carolina diver Alan Devier. The search continued Friday morning, as rescue teams battled rough winds and a strong current.

Devier, 49, is an experienced shark tooth hunter and diver known for finding megalodon teeth in the Port Royal Sound, the body of water north of Hilton Head Island and south of Parris Island and Port Royal.

Sources familiar with the situation tell us he went missing from the mouth of the Port Royal, closer to Hilton Head Island. He was wearing a black diving suit at the time he went missing.

The Port Royal Sound has been identified by scientists as a hotspot for several large shark populations — especially this time of the year.

At least 10 agencies using helicopters and boats have searched more than 780 square miles since Tuesday, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. He was reported missing to the U.S. Coast Guard in Charleston on Tuesday afternoon.

The following agencies are involved in the search:

Coast Guard Air Station Savannah
    Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston
    Coast Guard Station Tybee Island
    Coast Guard Cutter Pompano
    Coast Guard Auxiliary
    Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office
    Beaufort County Marine Rescue Squadron
    South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
    Fripp Island Fire and Rescue
    Parris Island Fire and Emergency Services.

Several volunteers have joined in the search. They had to temporarily call their search off around noon Friday because the winds were so dangerous.

This is the second time this year Devier has gone missing. In March, two good Samaritans found Devier around the southern part of Parris Island after he was missing for a night, ABC News 4 reported.

If you have information that could help search teams, contact the Coast Guard Sector Charleston Command Center at 843-740-7050.

https://www.fitsnews.com/2020/05/01/...f-hilton-head/

Maybe he found some shark teeth, with a shark still attached.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Maybe he found some shark teeth, with a shark still attached.

Dawg
    Bah! Humbug!

Not saying he did or didn't , but it's folly to dive without at least someone in the boat to make a timely report when you don't surface.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I’m with Nitro on this one. That’s a lot of damn resources to look for a fool that should know better.

Need an * in the title saying not Steve
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Hope he pops up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Its not the second time its the 3rd. A friend of mine found them the first time after the mushroom anchor he'd used to anchor his boat pulled free..........

I'm with Nitro and Tater on this'n......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

His last name is French for "diver"

Guy was just following his destiny.

Maybe the first two were test runs to see if he could " vanish"
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Now I'm going to have RJ Dio stuck in my head all day and night.

The coastal river bottoms must be covered in sharks teeth and fossils, for so many folks to be blindly diving into rivers in search of those treasures. I’ve heard and read stories of divers having to feel their way across the bottoms, fighting the current, snagging their tanks on roots and snags, etc. I’d be over the top excited to find a Megalodon tooth, but it doesn’t seem worth the risk to dive for them. This guy diving by himself, is very dumb. Makes the situation seem to have an ulterior motives.

I did a bunch of artifact diving in the Cooper River many years ago. It's just as you describe it, clawing your way along the bottom in near total darkness with current and snags trying to ruin your life. You can only see as far as your light will penetrate in the tea stained and muddy water, which isn't far. Nonetheless, it's mesmerizing and peaceful once you get used to it.

Buddy diving in those conditions is futile. You would spend all your time trying to find and keep up with your buddy. I found it smarter to be self-reliant and not depend on a buddy. Buddy diving makes you think you have a partner that can save you in a pinch. It makes you think you have an extra tank. When things go bad, communication is nearly impossible and it's all you can do to try to tame your own panic, much less your buddy's. The only close calls I ever had diving were because of a buddy who wanted my air bad enough to drown me. We even called ourselves the "Stab Your Buddy Dive Club".

Your “buddy” should have his ass in the boat.

Yeah, maybe he ran into Carcharadon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your “buddy” should have his ass in the boat.
    When we coined the name for the club, we were diving and spear fishing in the ocean. He wanted to be in the boat, badly. The reason he got delayed and ran out of air was an altercation with the biggest barracuda I've ever seen.

Prayers up for the missing diver.

Meg teeth are fun to find, but I'd rather do it in water I can see 20ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I did a bunch of artifact diving in the Cooper River many years ago. It's just as you describe it, clawing your way along the bottom in near total darkness with current and snags trying to ruin your life. You can only see as far as your light will penetrate in the tea stained and muddy water, which isn't far. Nonetheless, it's mesmerizing and peaceful once you get used to it.

Buddy diving in those conditions is futile. You would spend all your time trying to find and keep up with your buddy. I found it smarter to be self-reliant and not depend on a buddy. Buddy diving makes you think you have a partner that can save you in a pinch. It makes you think you have an extra tank. When things go bad, communication is nearly impossible and it's all you can do to try to tame your own panic, much less your buddy's. The only close calls I ever had diving were because of a buddy who wanted my air bad enough to drown me. We even called ourselves the "Stab Your Buddy Dive Club".
    Pretty much sums it up. Having a buddy is pointless in low/no viz and could even be a hinderance, especially if there are spears involved.
    My dad was a dive instructor for years and used to take groups in the rivers. Told me that one time he was leading the group toward the end of the dive and when ascending he basically ran into a wall that ended up going all the way back around to form a ceiling. Swam into it and had no way of knowing. Followed the ceiling for what seemed to be about 100 feet and it ended and they were able to surface. Said he never mentioned it to the group and they never thought anything of it but when they were under he was concerned that he led a group into a cave and they were all going to die.
    I prefer being able to see when I dive.... F a shark tooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once swam into such cave but it was only a few feet deep. My scariest moment in the Cooper.
    Low country redneck who moved north