Thread: Shed insulation

Default Shed insulation

So, I have a shed that I need to insulate, add a window unit, carpet, etc. to convert to my office. I need to get out of the house to work.

The thing gets hot, so my question is what type of insulation would you use. Any difference for the walls vs the ceiling?

browns-tans-little-cottage-co-wood-sheds-10x10-vws-wpc-e1_1000.jpg

for a shed, I wouldn't doing anything special. Add the styrofoam vents to the roof and add 24" craft face R13. Your wall appear to be 24" on center so same thing, minus the vents. Make sure the insulation goes all the way to the top and bottom. Don't "stuff" it in. It should be nice and fluffy and fit snug enough to hold itself in the wall but not be compressed. Cut the oddball pieces to fit the same. You can staple it at the top and down a foot or two to keep it in place or you can fold the craft paper tabs over the studs and face staple for additional air tightening.

Cut rigid foam to fit, a 2” and 1.5” and caulk the edges. Gives you more R-Value and tightens the space up. More expensive than batt but less than spray.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Open the window and put a window unit in it, then get back to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Buy one of those spray combos with the part A and part B. Those things would probly spray the walls and ceiling
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Buy one of those spray combos with the part A and part B. Those things would probly spray the walls and ceiling
    The ones I've seen don't cover much sq. ft. and are expensive.

the Ones I am referring to are two giant tanks that need a cart to roll them around
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

See Salty's post or have someone come spray it. 2x4 walls don't leave much room for the R value you probably want. Don't do carpet, Wood flood would be cheap and easy.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    the Ones I am referring to are two giant tanks that need a cart to roll them around
    And the price is ridiculous. Do the RI, caulk and glue I recommended and you get essentially the same thing at a fraction of the cost without the mess. You can cut the foam on a table saw or with a circular saw to keep edges square.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by joeydpga View Post
    See Salty's post or have someone come spray it. 2x4 walls don't leave much room for the R value you probably want. Don't do carpet, Wood flood would be cheap and easy.
    One of the few applications where I’d do LVT.

I used the 2" pink foam panels from Lowe's in my father-in-law's shed. Then caulked the seams. Worked great. He put a small window unit in there as well.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Really comes down cost. How much do you want to spend? All other options aside, the spray foam will make it as airtight as realistically possible. If you do a window you'll be introducing new air, and of course you'll have to insulate the floors as well. The 210 Froth Pak kit will run you $350ish. This will be the "best" option.

That spray foam in those kits carries about R-7 value per inch of thickness. So 2.5" of it will get you over R-13 which is the std code on wall insulation. Or you could do the "better" method, called the "flash and batt" method where you spray a little foam (inch or so) to get the airtight feature and then grab some R-13 insulation for the walls and R-19 for the ceiling from Lowe's and peel a layer to reduce the thickness and just cram it in the wall on top of the foam to get that extra R value.

Or just do straight fiberglass, or any of the other options mentioned using the boards.

Keep in mind this would be worthless if you didn't roll that shed over and spray the bottom as well.

You just gotta decide, so you want good, better, or best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft