Thread: Deere fuel filter

Default Deere fuel filter

John Deere 5103. Bought a NAPA fuel filter for it. Can not get the retainer ring to tighten with the NAPA filter so it leaks. Put the JD filter back on, fits fine. The only thing I see different is the seal where the fuel goes into the filter. The seal on the NAPA filter is larger than the JD. I can go get a JD filter, but I hate to throw away a $36 filter if I don’t have to??

do the filter numbers cross over?

i usually would get wix filters over napa.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Yes. It’s a NAPA Gold which is made by WIX.

shoulda gone to car quest

Napa went to shit when mikey went to Toyota.

Not exactly sure with a 5103, but if it’s a John Deere filter that slips into the filter housing and is then locked in with the locking ring that turns only around a quarter to half of a turn to be fully tightened, it sounds like the new filter you have isn’t an exact match. I use similar filters often and know for a fact that the filter should be tight in the housing without the locking ring on and this fit is held by the rubber seal on the top hole in the filter. If the filter doesn’t fit correctly in the housing, the locking ring will not tighten nor should you try to tighten it as (at least in my experience) the plastic locking ring will break. The locking ring should tighten by hand but sometimes you need to give one of those ridges a bump with a screw driver to get it to move. The only other brands I have used are fleetguard and clarcor (I think clarcor is made by Parker).
    Last edited by cam1195; 05-02-2020 at 06:18 AM.

You probably spent more money at NAPA than you would have at JD. There is more than likely a small defect on the filter or it’s not the same tolerance somewhere on the filter.

FWIW the last round of filters I bought were cheaper at JD store than oreillys or NAPA or car quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    You probably spent more money at NAPA than you would have at JD. There is more than likely a small defect on the filter or it’s not the same tolerance somewhere on the filter.

FWIW the last round of filters I bought were cheaper at JD store than oreillys or NAPA or car quest.
    You are correct. I just bought it there because I was already there. I did a quick search and from what I read it should have fit. The model numbers also matched.

Quote Originally Posted by cam1195 View Post
    Not exactly sure with a 5103, but if it’s a John Deere filter that slips into the filter housing and is then locked in with the locking ring that turns only around a quarter to half of a turn to be fully tightened, it sounds like the new filter you have isn’t an exact match. I use similar filters often and know for a fact that the filter should be tight in the housing without the locking ring on and this fit is held by the rubber seal on the top hole in the filter. If the filter doesn’t fit correctly in the housing, the locking ring will not tighten nor should you try to tighten it as (at least in my experience) the plastic locking ring will break. The locking ring should tighten by hand but sometimes you need to give one of those ridges a bump with a screw driver to get it to move. The only other brands I have used are fleetguard and clarcor (I think clarcor is made by Parker).
    Yeah. The JD filter has little indentions that fit up in the housing and the NAPA filter is smooth. However, I don't think that is the cause of the issue because the NAPA filter fits good and snug until I go to screw on the retainer ring. I think the issue is the seal that I mentioned above. I pulled it right out of the NAPA filter and was going to put the seal from the JD filter on it, but I couldn't get the seal out of the JD filter as easy and didn't want to mess it up since I didn't have a back up filter. Looks like I will just have to go to JD and buy a filter. It didn't need to be changed. I was just going to change it since I was changing the oil.

A lot of JD stuff is proprietary, for a reason.