Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irmo to defy Governor open restautants

Default Irmo to defy Governor open restautants

Irmo restaurants to reopen for outdoor dining, despite state order for takeout only

BY SARAH ELLIS
    MAY 01, 2020 08:18 AM, UPDATED 35 MINUTES AGO

Gov. Henry McMaster issued a mandatory closure for in-house services in all restaurants and bars to combat COVID-19 outbreak. The closures will begin Wednesday, March 18, 2020. BY SOUTH CAROLINA ETV

Restaurants in Irmo will be allowed to reopen for outdoor dining beginning Friday after a unanimous vote by Irmo Town Council on Thursday.

The vote came despite a standing emergency order by S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster that bans restaurants and bars from “any kind of on-premises consumption in the state of South Carolina.”

McMaster has come under pressure in recent days to allow restaurants and other businesses to begin to reopen, even as the numbers of COVID-19 cases and deaths across the state continue to rise daily.

The state’s restaurant association has urged the governor to allow restaurants and bars to reopen with precautions on May 4, this coming Monday. McMaster said Thursday he plans to announce “soon” a decision on whether to reopen dine-in service.

As it stands, the governor’s order enacted March 18 allows businesses to sell food and beverages only for off-premises consumption, namely “via delivery, carry-out or drive-thru distribution, curbside pick-up, or alternate means.”

Outdoor dining at a restaurant’s property is not expressly addressed in the order.

Irmo’s town attorney apparently expressed reservations about reopening local restaurants ahead of a move by the governor, according to Councilman Erik Sickinger before the council vote.

“I have real concerns against contravening a governor’s order simply because we want to open up businesses,” Sickinger said. “That has nothing to do with my desire to get businesses open. If the governor said it’s up to each town, heck yeah, I’d be voting ‘yes.’ But that’s not what he said.”

However, Sickinger ultimately joined his fellow council members, who voted unanimously to allow restaurants within the town limits to open outdoor dining areas only in adherence with federal and state guidance for social distancing, which recommends 6 feet of space be kept between people to prevent the spread of the highly infectious coronavirus.

Irmo Mayor Barry Walker insisted the move does not contradict McMaster’s standing order and said he spoke with the governor earlier this week.

“We’re not going against the governor. We’re simply saying that it’s time to show some relief for our particular restaurants,” Walker said before the vote was taken. “Maybe we’re jumping the gun, but I’m willing to go on the record and say I’m willing to jump the gun for our citizens in our town of Irmo.”

Another councilman, Kelly Busch, said he had “waffled” with his decision for the past day before the vote but supported the reopening.

“One of the principles of living in America is people can make choices. And right now, we don’t have a choice,” Busch said. “We’re going to get a little bit ahead of it. Our businesses will have one weekend ahead to try to recoup some money.”

South Carolina has taken steps to reopen some businesses, including most retail stores, sooner than most other states. While state and local leader are contemplating reopening restaurants and other businesses to get the economy moving again, some other states and municipalities have extended lockdown orders and required people to wear face masks any time they leave their homes.

McMaster’s statewide “home or work” order, which urges residents not to leave their homes for purposes other than work or conducting essential business, is still in effect, as is an order limiting public gatherings to fewer than three people.

My question to you insurance guys, will their carriers immediately drop them?

If someone dines there, gets the Wuhan China Flu and seeks damages, will the insurance companies use the statewide order to protect the carrier from having to pay?

Dine at your own risk! Sign a liability release!
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

They need to put up dine at your own risk signs at the entrance to the outside seating areas.
    I got my lunch to go, sat outside and ate at the outdoor tables at Firehouse subs yesterday in Charleston, other people were also. Signs say area closed.

In Costco yesterday, the line to the register stretched to the back of the store. No way that is "safer" than sitting at a table in a restaurant. Having said that, we know that the club restaurant in Camden was the vector for some deaths and a whole lot of misery...

Mayor Fatback for the win.

Awesome. Love seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

If someone dines there, gets the Wuhan China Flu and seeks damages, will the insurance companies use the statewide order to protect the carrier from having to pay?
    This has been the concern for a lot of people I know who are ready to say screw the gov and reopen.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

hahaha You should see the line outside of Leo's around 5:00 this afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    At 830 last night every drive through was slammed out to the street. Insanity. Made the decision to just go home and cook.

Yes!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Link to article?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post

The optimist in me says the people who will support these businesses and be there after they re-open aren't the litigious type and will do so knowing they accept the risk and are responsible for their own actions.

However the dentist in me says it'd be a good opportunity for some gestapo commie hand wringer to go buy a burger and then make trouble claiming they were infected there.

Either way my doors would be open blaring Judas Priest...

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Link to article?
    https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...242428006.html

Wouldn't the person have to prove he got the bat lab flu at said restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Wouldn't the person have to prove he got the bat lab flu at said restaurant?
    Not in today's courts of public opinion. Burden of proof would be on the accused business owner.

Because, you know, we're evil greedy people who only care about money.

and feelings, don't forget feelings.. because people here lately have a ton of them

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Not in today's courts of public opinion. Burden of proof would be on the accused business owner.

Because, you know, we're evil greedy people who only care about money.
    Spoken like a true doctor. I have four in my immediate family so I like doctors. The attorney in me says you’re incorrect on the law though. The Plaintiff has the burden to prove its case.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Spoken like a true doctor. I have four in my immediate family so I like doctors. The attorney in me says you’re incorrect on the law though. The Plaintiff has the burden to prove its case.
    I think he’s referring to the court of public opinion always automatically assuming businesses are at fault, so while the law says innocent until proven guilty, the jury is already thinking the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I'm sure. That's one place my girls have talked the most about since we left. They want some raw fries and cheese balls.