Thread: chufa

Default chufa

Has anyone had success planting chufa with a transient hog population? Right now, we have hardly any hogs, but at times, have large sounders. I really want to do something to further improve our turkey habitat. In reading up on it, we allegedly have everything we need- a lot of fields and food plots, tons of hard and soft mast, plenty of water, open hardwoods as well as thinned mature hardwoods, thick young pines, as well as 20+ year old pine stands, warm season grass stands, good cover, etc. In spite of this, we have very few turkeys. Unfortunately, I killed the only gobbler on the property the second week of the season. Had I known he was the lone mature bird, I would have either let him go or let my son have a crack at him. As I have mentioned before, we usually have 3-4 gobblers on our 350 acres. This year we just don't. I need some magic elixir and hoping chufa might be the ticket.
    Carolina Counsel

In on this as well. 2000 acres in mccormick co. thats never had a lot of birds but normally has 4-5 scattered throughout the property. This year there are none. No sign and haven't heard a bird since I killed my last on that property last year. Like you we have hogs that use the property every now and then.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 04-29-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Sounds like you need to get your neighbors to stop baiting. My 350 acres sounds very similar to yours. When the birds disappear I let the GW know and invariably hear soon after about a case he made for baiting close by

We don’t have but an occasional pig but I’ve not tried chufa so can’t help you there

When the hogs pass through and find it, they will clean it all up before they leave.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    When the hogs pass through and find it, they will clean it all up before they leave.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I had heard something like this. Apparently, they won't definitely find it, but if they do, they will stay in that plot until every nut is gone. I suppose if it's only an acre or so I could fence it. Is an acre enough to fool with when it comes to chufa?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I had heard something like this. Apparently, they won't definitely find it, but if they do, they will stay in that plot until every nut is gone. I suppose if it's only an acre or so I could fence it. Is an acre enough to fool with when it comes to chufa?
    I have changed turkeys roosting habits with less than an acre.

Yes. We planted 10 acres of chufa on the black river on the Clarendon/Williamsburg line with a strong hog population. We used a Parmak Magnum solar fence charger and 14 gauge wire. Fence is 12” off the ground with rebar for posts.

Make sure the chargers are in full sun and make sure they are hot before you even start to work the soil. We had literally one breach and it was in a place that we put the wire at 16” to keep flood water from getting it. Had some tiny pigs go under it.

Gonna have more this coming year.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

It lasted all of 2 nights at our club at 601 and the Congaree River.
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster13 View Post
    It lasted all of 2 nights at our club at 601 and the Congaree River.
    Did you fence it or just plant?
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands