Thread: Bird Feeding

Default Bird Feeding

Rubberheads post has me interested in building some nice stuff for the birds to eat out of. Especially with being home so much the kids enjoying watching them.

I don't live in the country but do live in an established mature area with plenty of habitat for them. Right now I just have 2 basic bird feeders, one is the house looking one and the other is a cylinder one. House one has a standard cone to keep the squirrels off. Im watching a squirrel eat of the cylinder one right now.

Im interested in seeing your set-ups and advise on what I should be feeding them. I usually just buy the 40 lb bag from the hardware store that has a mix of stuff in it. All around food I guess you would say. But looking and seeing the suet, stand along cylinder feed and just want to make sure i'm feeding stuff the does attract most of them. Generally ive just looked at Lowes and hardware store but I know some people have recommended the Wild Bird Unlimited store across town.

Thanks

We have a few bird feeders. Luckily I put them out of range of my 6 yr old son's bb gun. I told him that if he kills one, he has to eat it. Shockingly that hasn't stopped him from trying.

Just a typical setup with guard for squirrels. I got a damn goose I can't get rid of. The fuker ain't scared even after I gave him a limp.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

You also can plant some things like giant sunflowers, campsis radicans for hummingbirds, etc. to add to your feeder setups...

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Just a typical setup with guard for squirrels. I got a damn goose I can't get rid of. The fuker ain't scared even after I gave him a limp.
    The 22 mag only made him limp? That is a tough goose.

I'll have to take some pics of mine overall. I have several different feeders out with different types of food. A variety works best and you'll see more birds. I know it isn't the cheapest route, but I have become a steady customer at Wild Birds Unlimited for both feeders and feed. Their feeder have a life time warranty, and they stand behind it.

What I'm putting out now:
    • Safflower seed - squirrels don't care for it, but cardinals, titmice, etc. wear it out. In a gravity fed house-type feeder.
    • Hulled millet - won't germinate or make a mess. For smaller birds mostly, in a tube feeder, hoping for painted buntings. Not getting much love now.
    • Shelled cracked sunflower in a tube feeder. Bird magnet.
    • Bark Butter Bits (like little balls of peanut butter suet) in a tray feeder. EVERYTHING eats it. Including bluebirds.
    • Suet cakes in suet feeders - warblers and woodpeckers especially love it. Thrashers, etc. too
    • Bark butter in a log feeder - Warblers and woodpeckers. Low maintenance and cheap.
    • Hummingbird feeders (3)

I love Wild Birds Unlimited "Deluxe Blend" for my house type feeder, but so do the squirrels. They have figured out a way around the baffles. Also, when the goldfinches are around, they like a fine chipped sunflower and niger seed blend in a dedicated finch feeder. But they go to the shelled and cracked sunflower just as much.

Current list of birds visiting daily are chipping sparrows, house finches, wrens, a few remaining goldfinches, a few rose breasted grosbeaks (not as many as last week), summer tanagers (late in the day), downy woodpeckers, red bellied woodpeckers, cardinals, doves, grackles, bluejays, bluebirds, a few yellow rumped warblers, nuthatches (both varieties), thrashers, and a single ill-tempered mockingbird. It's fun to watch the shift through the seasons.

rbgb1.jpg

redbellied1.jpg

gf1.jpg

yrump2.jpg

summertanager1.jpg
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

My mom in Lexington has had a pair of grosbeaks show up in the last week. What kind of seed are they eating? She just has a mix out.

Don't over think this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/57oPDkXFuieWMoXf7

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Chipped sunflowers at my place. Regular sunflowers should work fine.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Saw my first ever Summer Tanager last year around my farm. Saw one again there on Sunday, neat little bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I have a swallow tailed kite workin my fields this week

Get some Acme Bird Seed if you want to attract Roadrunners.Sprinkle liberally under overhanging rocks or anvils and such as they like shade.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

but get it in metric.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.