Thread: Flounder LED Lights Update

Default Flounder LED Lights Update

Had an hour this afternoon to piddle with them a little more
    Almost ready for the test 5000 lumen each, there will be one more, three total.
    Underwater lights
    Low battery draw and no generator noise.
    Quick disconnect on and off the boat and quick adjustable height, no wires to speak of as these will plug into my trolling motor plug...….

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5032.jpg

IMG_5033.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-28-2020 at 07:09 PM.

how are they sealed Rick?

I've been prototyping flounder lights most of my life. Those look first class. LED's have changed the game. I prefer underwater lights. If you light them up above the water, be careful that they are not hot when you put them in the water.

My mounts are not rigid. You will inevitably ram them into the bank or an oyster rake so they need to break way or give. Yours look like they should give before breaking if you don't dog those thumbscrews down too tight.

Those gigs are way sharper than they need to be. Find a place in the boat to store them so nobody has a chance to stumble into or kick one. Bad shit can happen at night. The barbs are pretty aggressive too. You might need something like a bootjack on you cooler to get fish off. I never trust barbs on a big fish. I keep them pinned to the bottom and maneuver the boat so that I can reach under them to lift them in the boat.

I've only been using a trolling motor the last several years. Before that, we always poled the boat with the gigs. It takes a while to find a partner that can cooperatively pole a boat.

We had a rule that the guy in front gets to gig two before we swapped positions. If he overlooks one and the person in the back gigs one before he get his two, we still swap but there is a good amount of shame and ridicule to go with it.

Your shit is space age compared to what we used most of my life.

Source for those lights?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    how are they sealed Rick?
    Crystal clear non-yellowing epoxy.
    I bought these, but I have built similar ones myself from Cree led chips I ordered from China

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've been prototyping flounder lights most of my life. Those look first class. LED's have changed the game. I prefer underwater lights. If you light them up above the water, be careful that they are not hot when you put them in the water.

My mounts are not rigid. You will inevitably ram them into the bank or an oyster rake so they need to break way or give. Yours look like they should give before breaking if you don't dog those thumbscrews down too tight.

Those gigs are way sharper than they need to be. Find a place in the boat to store them so nobody has a chance to stumble into or kick one. Bad shit can happen at night. The barbs are pretty aggressive too. You might need something like a bootjack on you cooler to get fish off. I never trust barbs on a big fish. I keep them pinned to the bottom and maneuver the boat so that I can reach under them to lift them in the boat.

I've only been using a trolling motor the last several years. Before that, we always poled the boat with the gigs. It takes a while to find a partner that can cooperatively pole a boat.

We had a rule that the guy in front gets to gig two before we swapped positions. If he overlooks one and the person in the back gigs one before he get his two, we still swap but there is a good amount of shame and ridicule to go with it.

Your shit is space age compared to what we used most of my life.
    I started 50 years ago wading with a lantern. Globe would break if cold water splashed on it, mantles disintegrating, etc.
    These are on a huge heat sink and these can only be run underwater. I bought these, but can and have made the exact style. Soldering the boards and pouring the epoxy.
    The poles are PVC by design so they will give if hit bottom or structure. I pay attention to the depth
    I like to pole and "yes" it is very sweet when the guy beside you gets in the same poling rhythm.
    We have two people on the bow at a time (one on each side, hence three lights, one on each side and one in the center), they get 15 - 20 minutes and we rotate.
    Give kids and newbies more time up front
    Gigs are sharp and I stick other things than flounder. Been using this style for 40 years, I like em.
    I have a special container fabricated for raking fish off the gig
    Last edited by ecu1984; 04-28-2020 at 08:32 PM.

I like it
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

ECU1984 where did you find the brackets that you’re using on the pole and at the boat?

Nothing like a muddy cooler.... I wired my lights under a pvc gunwale so they are all on one switch.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Speaking of light brackets, the easiest way I've found to mount lights on a boat are with rod holders similar to these.
    51jTDmvtsrL._AC_UL200_SR200,200_.jpg
    You can get a variety of bases that permanently mount to the boat or clamp-ons. Most of my lights use PVC for the rod. The actual rod holder part can be modified so it doesn't lock. 1 1/2" PVC will press fit into the ones I have and make a good friction fit that will break loose if you cram it into the bank or oysters. Some have all kinds of adjustment for angle. When not being used for flounder lights, you can use unmodified ones for fishing rods.

Always wanted to do that. Looks fun
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbreaker View Post
    ECU1984 where did you find the brackets that you’re using on the pole and at the boat?
    I will post the link when i get home.
    Season opens August 15th for my place in NC.
    We are ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I will post the link when i get home.
    Season opens August 15th for my place in NC.
    We are ready to go.
    Any word on where you got those lights and how you like them?

nice setup I got a similar set of lights with mounting brackets that are on a aluminum pole with a c-clamp. They are color adjustable for clear or muddy water. Called swamp eye submersible lights. work very well

heres the link https://outriggeroutdoors.com/collec...gigging-lights

I'm getting the itch to go

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I'm getting the itch to go
    Call me. Let's see if we can figure something out.

anyone ever tried one of these ??

https://outriggeroutdoors.com/produc...erwater-lights

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    interesting, I like it........I think
    May see if PT wants to build one for us or something along the same line of thought

I have a brand new 30 etec waiting on you Rick. Find us a boat and we can trick it by out

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTrooper View Post
    I have a brand new 30 etec waiting on you Rick. Find us a boat and we can trick it by out
    Dang, I had forgot about that
    Looking now