Thread: 2 row John Deere planter for Chufa

Default 2 row John Deere planter for Chufa

I recently bought a 2 row refurbished John Deere planter. I don't know how to use it yet. How steep is the learning curve? Was thinking of trying on my chufa patches this year. Mistake or worth it? I do have the right size plates (I guess they are called) to change out. Broadcasting is so easy that I wondering if it is worth the risk of screwing up? I would rather learn on something for deer but also am anxious to give it a try. Been youtubing videos for what its worth. Seems like it might be a pain in ass. Planting portions of 5 small field totaling maybe 3 acres.

Order the edible bean cup. Works very well.

PS- One thing that kind of worries me is chufa seed is a little bit irregular in size compared to corn, soybeans, etc. Seems some might get caught? Does that happen for those who use a planter?

Quote Originally Posted by SCBUCKSLAYER View Post
    PS- One thing that kind of worries me is chufa seed is a little bit irregular in size compared to corn, soybeans, etc. Seems some might get caught? Does that happen for those who use a planter?
    If you can order the plate T mentioned above or convert to finger pick ups you will be set. I prefer row planting chufa over broadcast any day! Mainly for chemical application purposes. With row planting you aren’t running over near as much of your crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Also go to shoup.com and request a catalog...that is your bible for JD planter parts.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

My JD fingers planter would not meter the chufa I tried. Most of the seeds were too big. I ended up broadcasting it. I don't know if you can get it in different and more consistent seed sizes. What I had was almost the size of a peanut M&M.

My attempt was an utter failure. I used Treflan as pre-emergent and then Butyrac post emergent and the weeds and other grasses overtook the chufa. I'll be interested to hear about your attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My JD fingers planter would not meter the chufa I tried. Most of the seeds were too big. I ended up broadcasting it. I don't know if you can get it in different and more consistent seed sizes. What I had was almost the size of a peanut M&M.

My attempt was an utter failure. I used Treflan as pre-emergent and then Butyrac post emergent and the weeds and other grasses overtook the chufa. I'll be interested to hear about your attempt.
    We are fixing to plant 20 something acres of it for ducks using a finger pick up 7000 treflan will
    More than likely be our pre and then we will treat the rest with a hooded sprayer or row cultivators