Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest duck hunt?

A pissed off old man inadvertently zinging .17 rounds over me and Bogster's head.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I've heard of folks applying for the SC waterfowl lottery hunts, waiting literally years to get drawn, then when their time comes to hunt, all they shoot is a hooded merganser, or nothing at all. Does that story count?
    Or, not even going.

Quote Originally Posted by CYPRESNEAK View Post
    A pissed off old man inadvertently zinging .17 rounds over me and Bogster's head.
    What the hell was that for?

Early teal I heard some woman after our first round of shots from her house yelling for all the woodland creatures to run etc. Needless to say a some ducks got a boat ride home that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    You freaking know it
    Sounds like some of his shenanigans for sure
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    What the hell was that for?
    Long story short, he was shooting at some guys that were set up out in front of his dock. We were about 500yds behind them, and the bullets were ricocheting off the water and whistling by our heads.

It was back in 07 when the lake was low. We had to scuddle through the sheetwater/mud on sneak boats to get out there. The other boys tried to walk, and didn't make it far.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I used to hunt South Carolina public land 30+ times a season .... that was a stupid decision.
    I wish more folks felt the same way you do.

The proving grounds are tough.

No offense.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

You killed a hybrid black that morning and a banded summer duck if my memory serves??
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

When I was on that little batch of gadwall,....as I live and breathe, I watched DM1, lean back, point his gun skyward, and fold a hen bird at conservatively, 80 yards up.

That day, I learned he don’t f*ck around.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You killed a hybrid black that morning and a banded summer duck if my memory serves??
    And completely whiffed on a wad of mallards. Hahaha

I wish more folks felt the same way you do.

The proving grounds are tough.

No offense.

None taken, I killed my fair share in the upstate. Now I just hunt places with higher concentrations of ducks and I still have the opportunity to dabble on public land whenever I want East of the Mississippi.

I got tired of slow mornings and a growing number of idiots. Even a good hunt in upstate SC will typically equal seeing less birds than a below average hunt west.

An SC duck hunter’s success is certainly dependent on his location, or at least willingness to drive.

Upstate folks have the mallards... but hunting is tough for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    I've heard of folks applying for the SC waterfowl lottery hunts, waiting literally years to get drawn, then when their time comes to hunt, all they shoot is a hooded merganser, or nothing at all. Does that story count?
    Hunted Murphy's once, killed a mottled and a blue wing.. I refused to shoot spoonbills to finish my limit, and the sky was slap full of them.. Argued sort of jokingly with my BIL most of the morning because of the withholding on them.

An SC duck hunter’s success is certainly dependent on his location, or at least willingness to drive.

Upstate folks have the mallards... but hunting is tough for sure.
    Haven’t had mallards the past two years. Weather related in my opinion.
    Go Tigers!!!

Bogster, I’ll re join soon so we can pm. We don’t kill many birds, but they’re only on my land. The past three seasons have been strange.
    Go Tigers!!!

Watched a very drunk waterfowler continuously circle the parking area at Hellers Creek landing looking for the exit. After the forth lap we stopped him and tried to get his keys. No luck, he finally made it out to Broad River Road. The rest of us waited awhile before departing. Another one that sticks with me is watching sparks fly on the Hwy 17 Bridge above Santee Delta West staging area at 4:30 AM. Guy arrived with a small boat and trailer that had one hub completely ground down to the axle. He had a flat in Georgetown and didn't want to be late for check-in so he kept rolling. Hard Core!

Drove 30 miles up the highway to hunt the Columbia river in WA, throwing sparks behind the trailer. My business partner thought it was a chain dragging. It was the prop and lower unit on the main motor , and the kicker. Made our 80 year old host laugh. (and a long day of pushing the boat back up river.) We did kill limits . So there was that. Spendy morning.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

...It was back in 07 when the lake was low.

Kilt a pile of ducks that year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    A dog in a dove field is about as worthless as a squirrel on a bird feeder. Only a nuissance.

MOFO's show up talking bout "I need a shady spot...I brought Fido". Yeah fukin right...shady spots are coveted by everyone. You gonna draw your spot like everybody else. Should have left that dumb mutt at home on the couch anyways.
    At least you aren't bitter

He's just pissy because typically someone's broke dog out runs him to the eight shot downed public dove.