Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest duck hunt?

Default Dumbest duck hunt?

What are the dumbest things yall witnessed or heard while duck hunting?

This ought to be a great one! I watched a man and a youth put on neon yeller rain suits when a rain shower hit. They were a ways away but I think they could be seen from outer space. Continued to lay down on the calls when anything was circling. I'll never forget that hunt.

Had a bass boat sit down in our spread one morning and refuse to leave because he had marked fish there a few day prior. Another morning i was idling under a bridge a little before daylight going to hit a woodie hole and kept thinking i could hear something and cut the motor to find my hunting partner and member one here who couldn’t make the hunt was sitting on the bridge cussing me out over the PA system in his patrol vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Another morning i was idling under a bridge a little before daylight going to hit a woodie hole and kept thinking i could hear something and cut the motor to find my hunting partner and member one here who couldn’t make the hunt was sitting on the bridge cussing me out over the PA system in his patrol vehicle.
    Now that’s funny

Bicycle races in the wee hours of the morning on Fants Grove while I was at Clemson.

Just in general the calling that you hear on public water. It is atrocious and it really isn’t that hard to take a tiny bit of time and learn how to sound decent...

I’ll have to think on this one for a bit...
    Formerly DM88

Barn burner woodie shoot in my youth and a friend of a friend brought his jam up duck dog Junior. All I heard for the next hour was "Sit Junior, shut up Junior, GD Junior come here, Damnit Junior"... I have never forgotten that hunt or poor old Junior.
    Last edited by BCR3; 04-27-2020 at 03:32 PM.

The list goes on.......
    But to list a few.
    - rap music blasting on boat stereo before,during, and after a hunt.
    - non stop calling that seems like the people didn’t take a breath.
    - someone owns PUBLIC marsh.
    - heard a guy call one of the most magnum gadwall I’ve ever seen a wigeon.
    - people purposely set up for divers.
    - I’ve had GAme wardens on 2 different occasions come pulling up into my spread at 730am to do a normal check. Both time was women.
    - I’ve had guys purposely try to set up on me, but still put wind in my favor.
    - I’ve had guys shoot their guns off on purpose to flare birds off me
    867-5309

I watched 2 guys come to the landing with their 2 prized black ducks proudly displayed on the bow only to be confronted by the game warden who advised them that they were actually cormorants. They left with their pride hurt, and a couple of tickets.

My dog took a shit in (not on) a fellow hunters blind bag when he wasn’t looking shortly after he critiqued his retrieving.

dumbest was at a landing after a hunt I saw a few groups together off to the side comparing each other’s hunt by how many times they shot their guns.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 04-27-2020 at 03:47 PM.

I've heard of folks applying for the SC waterfowl lottery hunts, waiting literally years to get drawn, then when their time comes to hunt, all they shoot is a hooded merganser, or nothing at all. Does that story count?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I got up pretty early to go hunt Hartwell a handful of times. Looking back that was pretty stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

I used to hunt South Carolina public land 30+ times a season .... that was a stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    ...when their time comes to hunt, all they shoot is a hooded merganser, or nothing at all. Does that story count?
    No. We've all heard that one... Gotta bring something unique, and preferably humorous. Highstrung likes humor.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    My dog took a shit in (not on) a fellow hunters blind bag when he wasn’t looking shortly after he critiqued his retrieving.
    Now that's funny.
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-27-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by BCR3 View Post
    Barn burner woodie shoot in my youth and a friend of a friend brought his jam up duck dog Junior. All I heard for the next hour was "Sit Junior, shut up Junior, GD Junior come here, Damnit Junior"... I have never forgotten that hunt or poor old Junior.
    I hear that on every dove field I've ever hunted. Public and private. Mostly on private. Public dove hunters pick up their own birds.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I used to hunt South Carolina public land 30+ times a season .... that was a stupid decision.
    I think I hunted almost 30 days of the 60 day season back in 2010. And I'd do it again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Two kids shooting 16 mottled during early teal.

A dog in a dove field is about as worthless as a squirrel on a bird feeder. Only a nuissance.

MOFO's show up talking bout "I need a shady spot...I brought Fido". Yeah fukin right...shady spots are coveted by everyone. You gonna draw your spot like everybody else. Should have left that dumb mutt at home on the couch anyways.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 04-27-2020 at 04:23 PM.

I know this is coming so I will go ahead a say it.....

I heard of guys paying $20,000 to shoot tamies.

Quote Originally Posted by adamb61085 View Post
    Had a bass boat sit down in our spread one morning and refuse to leave because he had marked fish there a few day prior. Another morning i was idling under a bridge a little before daylight going to hit a woodie hole and kept thinking i could hear something and cut the motor to find my hunting partner and member one here who couldn’t make the hunt was sitting on the bridge cussing me out over the PA system in his patrol vehicle.
    SP???
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    SP???
    You freaking know it