Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chickens...

I still dont know why you need to bogart all the damn masks.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I still dont know why you need to bogart all the damn masks.
    We just have the regular ones.

bc cats smell funny?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    bc cats smell funny?
    Well they do. But mostly to play doctor and impress the gals.

My wife thinks I'm a "real" doctor. Don't tell her I'm not.

Interested in hearing how you guys with chickens keep (or dont keep) predators at bay. Been considering setting something up but property is 30 minutes away, in the woods. Was thinking a largeish covered/wired pen with auto water/feeders. I get by the place at least once a week, is that often enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not if you want eggs that morning for breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Interested in hearing how you guys with chickens keep (or dont keep) predators at bay.
    The whole time we had chickens, we did not have a single wolf or grizzly attack. I choose to believe that it wasn't a coincidence. I mean they stand on fireant hills and peck out the eggs they are so tough...

Interested in hearing how you guys with chickens keep (or dont keep) predators at bay. Been considering setting something up but property is 30 minutes away, in the woods. Was thinking a largeish covered/wired pen with auto water/feeders. I get by the place at least once a week, is that often enough?

We didn't have a problem until the women in my life "felt bad for them always being in the run and coop" and we started free ranging them. Enter coyotes, wandering dogs and hawks. My run is covered so the only thing I have to worry about are black snakes in the coop. We check in there daily and if we see one we remove it. The key is to not let the eggs sit in there too long. But the snakes won't mess with the chickens.

I really want a chicken that lays blue eggs.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

What Glenn said. I let my "good" birds out on the weekends while Im home but its always a risk. Hawks #1. Having a couple loudmouth hounds in the same area helps too. I moved my dog kennels away and lost three meatbirds the last two nights to a coon. My fault for not locking them up. That coon will die tonight.

Ive lost one one once to an owl. Run was netted but top of coop was about 18" below the net. Bird roosted on top of coop and owl got it by the neck. Couldnt figure out what got it till that owl got caught in a live trap.

Not a good idea but It would depend on how many you are talking about. They need to be checked on daily. Sometimes two times a day again depending on bird numbers.

I've lost one in two years, solely because I forgot to lock the coop one night. We used to coop them and let them free range most days. Last year I built about a 100x200 run for them. They figured out that they could fly through the gate and would free range most of the day. I fixed the gate, and now they stay in. Most of the time during the day, they stay out of sight in the wooded part of the run. I've been really lucky not to lose more birds, but I think having a rooster helps. They'll stay on point and watch for hawks and things.

Unless you live in a place vacant of coons, they will be your main concern after birds of prey. If you think you have everything secured check again.

A damn coon is smart. Real smart. I have seen them do some amazing things.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

6906F556-6015-4E3C-A103-325D879F11D9.jpg

Black copper Marans just hatched. More in the incubator

So chickens attract snakes?

Sparrow swamps Annie girl...are you located near Florence? Once those get old enough to tell the sex I’d love to buy a maran pullet. I have blue egg layers hatching in the incubator now if you are interested in a trade or I’d purchase one.

Quote Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
    Sparrow swamps Annie girl...are you located near Florence? Once those get old enough to tell the sex I’d love to buy a maran pullet. I have blue egg layers hatching in the incubator now if you are interested in a trade or I’d purchase one.
    I was but I’m around Bluffton now but am back and forth often

I never lost one while my dogs were living. They all "free ranged" together. As soon as the dogs were gone, chickens got gone with a quickness to hawks, coons and an owl.