Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boykin?

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Neil Doyle just outside of Conway is where my Maggie came from. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another from him!
    Same here.

As far as Boykins and kids, I wouldn't say that Boykins are nippy dogs. They are just wide open as puppies and are not considerate of personal space. What I mean is, when I kneel down and call my 6 month old, he will run headlong into me with no regards for the fact that he is just running into me. This may knock a small child over. I will say that I have never had more loving dogs than my 2 Boykins. They demand attention and are as sweet as any dogs I have ever been around. Of course I can only speak to what my dogs are like.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Same here.

As far as Boykins and kids, I wouldn't say that Boykins are nippy dogs. They are just wide open as puppies and are not considerate of personal space. What I mean is, when I kneel down and call my 6 month old, he will run headlong into me with no regards for the fact that he is just running into me. This may knock a small child over. I will say that I have never had more loving dogs than my 2 Boykins. They demand attention and are as sweet as any dogs I have ever been around. Of course I can only speak to what my dogs are like.
    Gotcha, I know for a fact I would deal with that same characteristic with a lab when they are young.

I’ve never seen a Boykin that was aggressive towards children. Like others have said, they can be high strung. Ours would retrieve, flash point and hold, and back a pointing dog well. He was also very sweet and loving as a pet. I have had labs, springers and (and a Cavachon, but don’t tell anyone). Dad now has an English cocker. All good dogs.
    Carolina Counsel

Let me start by saying we have not experienced the puppy stage in over 15 yrs , longer than that with a male pup inside the house full time (My lab was in kennel but did come in and out )

We have a 6 month old male and he stays in our house. He seems to be a typical young male pup, will chew everything he can get his mouth on at times . Can not tell you how many damn rolls of toilet paper he has shredded

Very loving dog but as others said full of energy at times, when his batteries run down he crashes

Like most dogs I have ever been around he gets wound up when someone other than my wife or myself are home, we have a 5 1/5 yr old grandson that stays at our house 1 day a week, he likes to jump on him but wife just puts him in kennel

Kind of getting out of that “biting everything” stage

We try and walk him around the block once a day or on weekends he has been in back yard(fenced in ) while we are doing yard work He likes to ride around in UTV with me and wife

Times she would like to ring his neck but he cocks that head at her when she is mad at him and with those eyes and ears she cracks up and says she can not be mad at him. However he does have a fetish for her damn underwear for some reason, told me last night I owe her $100 so she can order more ��

I did get a training collar for him and we use it sparingly , most of time just beep or vibrate and he stops and runs back to us

Very lovable dog to say the least and is a great pet

I have not had him neutered and at this point not planning on it , he just turned 6 months old but does not seem to hump everything like some pups do

I have to agree with some others, I do not think it is the breed as much as the puppy in them when they are young. I had 2 labs in last 18 yrs and both great dogs but they were as different as night and day, one was wound tight and very hyper and they other very calm but both were great pets

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    LOL based on the responses seems I should go with the lab
    why would you even look at anything else!

I have a 10 month old boykin and while she has her moments, she is calmer than a lot of labs I have seen at her age.

I would say the biggest difference between a lab and a boykin is a about the same difference between a man and a woman. Labs are more straight forward and respond better to force, but I almost have to trick my boykin into doing what I want her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by whistlinwingswilly View Post
    I have a 10 month old boykin and while she has her moments, she is calmer than a lot of labs I have seen at her age.

I would say the biggest difference between a lab and a boykin is a about the same difference between a man and a woman. Labs are more straight forward and respond better to force, but I almost have to trick my boykin into doing what I want her to do.
    That statement is enough for me to never own a Boykin. Gees

I like Boykins their cool little dogs and I’ve been around a bunch. Only one was a crazy evil bitch. The rest were about what I would expect from the owner. Buy from the best breeding you can and then put everything you can into training the dog you want. All that said I’ve owned labs for over 35 years and my next dog will be a lab and the one after that will be too.

803038B5-B343-47AD-B532-0EC3EA279739.jpg
    Coworker’s dog. Best one I’ve ever been around. Great disposition
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Dont believe all this mess...you get out what you put in, just like with a lab, a chessie, or a shorthair. Its a sporting dog, and it wants to work. Work can be training, or it can be catching a frisbee in the park. It doesnt matter, but they need work. That being said, I have never seen or had a dog that wants to please like my boykin now does. He is smart, the perfect size, and charges headfirst into every situation with zero fear. He sleeps on the couch, rides in the car, stands on the bow of the boat, and gets amped like no other dog that Ive had when birds are flying (sometimes too amped). Get a good dog and get in touch with Rhett Riddle or Blaine Tarnecki...you won't regret it. For Florida and South Carolina hunting, they can do it all.

I got a Braque Francais “French Pointer”, think German Shorthair shrunk down to the size of a Boykin. He is perfect inside the house but really turns it on in the field.

483D55C5-9EB1-4018-84C7-507FCF4D9987.jpg
    97E42A42-D3DC-461E-8326-BC3DD08FD6B0.jpg
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 04-26-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Contact the Boykin Spaniel Society for a list of reputable breeders.
    The only man to ever get all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.

Thank you for all of the replies. As stated before I grew up with labs and my grandfather had and bred German shorthair pointers. Familiar with “high strung” but reality is I feel the attention is met between the kids and hunting every weekend. Gs pointers had a tendency to get out and roam similar to my Beagle but awesome dogs and great memories I had with them growing up. My daughter yesterday was hugging my Beagle and putting her face right in front of my sleeping beagle so she could give her a kiss. Some dogs are ok with that but a dog that poses any issue to my kids I will not have.