Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boykin?

Default Boykin?

Hello,

Looking to get a dog in the next year or two and figured I would get some opinions from you all as I am not familiar with the boykin breed. I have 2 young kids (4 and 2) and hunt most every weekend and fish in the summer (current beagle also comes on the boat). I would like a dog primarily for retrieving but tracking deer and or flushing birds secondary if possible. We travel a lot to our place up in SC to hunt (live in Florida and also travel on weekends to hunt more locally).

My wife wants a boykin and I would have to agree it seems like a dog that would be good with the kids and I could take hunting which would retrieve, flush and track. Also, they are smaller like my current beagle which makes traveling a lot easier (truck gets pretty full packing with kids etc). Originally I wanted a lab as that is what I grew up with but medium sized dog would be ideal.

John

They are high energy and some are down right neurotic.

Can be good dogs with lots of training, lots of exercise and space to run.

This coming from a GWP owner, great dogs, lots of energy.

I wanted a boykin. I decided on a Springer spaniel. We get her next week. She should be 1/2 the size of our lab.

Anything with spaniel in the name is like a redhead or a hair dresser. I'm sure there are some that are not crazy, some that haven't shown it yet, and some that just can't hide it. The real bitch is when you get the redheaded hairdresser named Krystal. Those exist in large numbers.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have had 2 boykins and currently still have one. I would suggest doing research on some good breeders. Go meet the parents of the dog you would consider. That will help determine the disposition of the dog you may get. Contact the Boykin Spaniel Society in Camden, SC for a list of breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by jharkey View Post
    I have had 2 boykins and currently still have one. I would suggest doing research on some good breeders. Go meet the parents of the dog you would consider. That will help determine the disposition of the dog you may get. Contact the Boykin Spaniel Society in Camden, SC for a list of breeders.
    The above post answers your question.

Get some other breed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Default Boykin?

Also look into or research English Cocker Spaniels.
    Mine is great with kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamey29657; 04-23-2020 at 01:48 PM.

LOL based on the responses seems I should go with the lab

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Now you talking

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dogs are individuals. Breeds don't guarantee anything but size shape and color

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Dogs are individuals. Breeds don't guarantee anything but size shape and color
    Agree but there is without a doubt common characteristics probably held by 85 percent of the breed. In example, my beagle howls, follows her nose and is stubborn

Whatever we go with I plan on going with a reputable breeder

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    You should.

We have a springer and a lab. Both are great with kids and both full of energy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love my Boykins. They seem to be crazy for the first year, but lots of puppies are. As long as she gets a little exercise, my 2yr old Boykin is about as chill as a dog can get. My 6 month old puppy is still crazy, but getting better every day. These are my first 2 Boykins and I am happy with my choice to get them.
    Just like you, I asked on here about the breed before I dove in. And, like you, I was warned against it. Glad I didn't listen. Mine are extremely intelligent and I feel like you will get out of them what you put into them.
    Last edited by MKW; 04-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by jharkey View Post
    this. they have actually tried to breed some of the crazy out over the last 20 yrs. lol. still lots of variation. height, weight, curliness, personality, etc. look at the lineage.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Get one from Tyler Swain in Fair Play then send it to Blaine Tarnecki. I’ve got two from Tyler and they are great pets but can flip the switch in a second when it’s time to work. I’ve had a Goosepond dog and a JustDucky, my two currents are by far the best I’ve had.

I am on my second Boykin. Currently have a 6 month old (from the same breeder as MKW) up at Rhett Riddles going through training. At this point I couldn’t imagine going back to a lab or any other breed. In fact as soon as we get settled in California this fall we’ll be looking to pick up another Boykin pup. We will be using them for double duty with waterfowl and upland. I can’t wait to see two of them running up a hillside flushing quail for the wife and I!!

The first pic is of my Bailee that we lost at 18 months to renal failure. Talk about a heart breaker. It was a genetic condition that we found out about at the one year mark. It absolutely crushed my wife when we had to finally let her go. The second pic is me holding Maggie Mae. She’s at Bay Creek Kennels learning how to be a working dog. We were supposed to head up there tomorrow for a visit but plans have changed due to my mother-in-laws medical condition. Guess we’ll go for a visit next week to see how she’s doing after her first three weeks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ring King; 04-23-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Get one from Tyler Swain in Fair Play then send it to Blaine Tarnecki. I’ve got two from Tyler and they are great pets but can flip the switch in a second when it’s time to work. I’ve had a Goosepond dog and a JustDucky, my two currents are by far the best I’ve had.
    I have a littermate to bitesize's Goosepond dog. If all Boykins were like her everybody would have one. Whenever someone would talk down Boykins on here I thought they were full of shit because my experiences with Boykins was vastly different. Now that I've been around a few others I can kinda see where they're coming from.

Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

For those of you with “normal” boykins would you mind sharing the breeder you got them from as mentioned above with swain.

The biggest concern I would have with them is if they are good with kids. Can’t have them biting my kids etc and sometimes smaller dogs have a tendency to be nippy. Both of my kids are good with dogs and respectful but no doubt my daughter will come up and hug my beagle while she is sleeping and some dogs are not ok with that.

John

Neil Doyle just outside of Conway is where my Maggie came from. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another from him!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL