Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I knew better!!!

Default I knew better!!!

I knew better than to reply to Full Choke’s missing thread! I happened upon 4 turkeys in the SE leg of the Co-Vid turkey tour...chose the wrong one as they were getting gone and shot a jake...oh well, it’ll eat just fine. That afternoon, I call in and promptly missed a studly gobbler. Today in IN, I leave my spot to go hunt some morels, find about 50, go back to my spot, and 4 giant old Toms were in the field. I sneak around to get in front of em, coax them to ~40 before one spots me...I draw down on one that hadn’t gotten squirrelly yet...and miss twice. Birds haul ass around a field corner, and I think I might run into them if I ease down the little road inside the wood line. I do. First darts across road, second same. Third pops out and gives me a good shot. Benelli click, as I guess something snagged my bolt in the jaunt from miss 1 spot. I slam it home and draw down and shoot as bird drops into dip in road I didn’t anticipate or see...miss 2...this one at 25. As I stand there with an empty gun and other shells not in vest but back in truck where my bud who borrowed them Monday left them...bird 4 pops out on road at 10 yards the runs straight away for 15 before dropping into the dip and disappearing. Walk back to truck...get shells, decoys, camera. Walk back. Set up. Call. I heard I stand gobble. 5 minutes later he blows my doors off at60 yards. I talk back. He talks back. I turn on camera and position and go silent. He walks out at~20 and will walk into frame at 15 where I’ll roll him. He gets just about there and doesn’t like something he is seeing with the decoys. He then hauls ass to 25ish and I’m able to get “on” him. I’ve removed back sight thinking it was causing me to miss high. Line him up...pull trigger...he flys off. I’m about as pissed as can beat this moment, so I sit stewing for 30 minutes. As I get up to call it quits, I see a smaller bird 200 yards off enter the field but it has no desire to come to the shooting range. I belly crawl to a ditch...belly crawl in the ditch. Finally get as close as I can make it. It’s going to be a poke, but I finally have a bird with head up and still with the three dots (put the back sight back on after the last miss) at base of neck. Boom. It rolls and flops. As I get close, I realize it’s a friggin hen. Shot was 50-55 yards. I tought I saw a beard from 200 thru the binos, but nowIm getting worried. I knew the bird didn’t look right, butI saw a beard right?! Grab her by the neck and sure enough, beard. I’ve only seen one bearded hen, and it did not have a rope...this was a pretty damn good beard for a tranny. Still...5 shells fired prior to that I got him freaking air. Dammit full choke...I knew as soon as I hit reply that I had put the low-down voodoo jinx on myself. I’ll post pics when I get to a computer...probably post the video too.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Sounds like you wounded a few birds.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

And then killed a hen.

Wow - and you took the time to post this mess. It's not a confessional... Say ten hail Marys, grab your Rex Croft, buy some more shells, shoot your gun, and go back at them. Just make sure they have a full fan....
    Last edited by fro; 04-23-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Sounds like a hunt my boy would have come home telling me about when he was 14 or 15. What a clusterfuk.
    Congrats on killing a hen...I guess.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get hacked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, . Thanks for sharing WWD, that was entertaining to read and picture. I'm laughing with you, I think. Tough day.

In all seriousness get a Burris FF3 or Vortex Venom for that shotgun. You won't regret it.

As far as a Benelli click happening to someone who's owned one for more than a day, I just don't get it. Hope you get back on birds! Happy to try and help in SC if I can but not much time left.

What a mess, takes me years to screw up that much. Thanks

You are good at getting in normal shotgun range of turkeys.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

This whole thing makes my head hurt. I would delete this post and go drink some brown water if I were you.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

I never thought it would be possible to top my Dildo story post but I think you just did......................

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    I never thought it would be possible to top my Dildo story post but I think you just did......................
    Sorry dude, nothing tops naming a 2yo gobbler Didlo!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Sorry dude, nothing tops naming a 2yo gobbler Didlo!
    Chuckle
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Remember we can't tell a turkey's age anymore by the spurs....... He could've been 5 for all we know

Remember we can't tell a turkey's age anymore by the spurs....... He could've been 5 for all we know
    Also remember, you named him dildo, then chose to tell folks that you had done so.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Also remember, you named him dildo, then chose to tell folks that you had done so.
    Actually I didn’t name the bird, a buddy did who hunted him twice with me

Just own it dude....It's your didlo

Thats not for you to decide...
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?