Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food plot-

Default Food plot-

Looking to plant food plots this year. Any suggestions on where to get seed near bamberg county? Peas, clover etc. I can order online but would rather avoid shipping and buy local.

John

Mixson in Orangeburg, Wannamaker in St. Matthews.

Decomate.com

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Decamate Astro nominy

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    Mixson in Orangeburg, Wannamaker in St. Matthews.
    Thanks! Orangeburg should work I’m at southern end of bamberg county. Looking for peas and clover not planting aeschynomene

Peas and clover don't have genetics in them unless you buy Decomate brand

Also, if you are just doing small plots and have a decent deer density, the peas will be gone in a couple of days. Most recommendations say that if you have a high deer density and aren’t going to electrify your plots, you need at least 4 contiguous acres of peas for the deer to not destroy before they can get established (4-6wks).

If you want to see how hard they hit peas, put out some hog wire enclosures to monitor growth...
    Last edited by dubs; 04-19-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Formerly DM88

Ok this is my first time planting a plot in sc and yes there is a strong density. I have 2-2 acre plots and about an acre of roads to plant. Was going to strip plant it as there is a lot of pressure and they seem to prefer high grass in the fields.

So would you recommend planting the peas in July/August right before season? Or just go entirely with something else. I did plant a few small strips of sucraseed sweet spot which is half sugar grass and half clover more so as test. It is coming up pretty well
    Open to suggestions.

G and G milling in Ehrhardt has about anything you would want to plant.

Even better! Thank you!!

If your roads are shaded and mowed occasionally seed them with clover
    80-20 Genaration

With those sized areas I wouldn’t fool with beans. 1) it’ll get browsed long before it matures 2) if it’s never been prepared for seed you’ll need a ton of lime, actually closer to 4 tons, but I’d pull a soil sample to find out 3) 0-25-25 fert for those beans will hurt your wallet at 250#/ac, again.. soil sample.

Plant clover in the fall. Use the time you have now to get the areas right - soil test (when the ag extension opens back up), bush hog, spray, etc.

Just my $.02

I bought the place a few years ago and they previously had food plots. I’ve put out lime and have the soils around 6-6.5 (not professional just the water tube test kits)
    Fields are full of sericea lespedeza. Don’t think it has any value but the deer are very comfortable walking around in it.

I mow both pastures each year. Lanes for shooting etc

Really appreciate all of the help.
    Last edited by hunterjw; 04-19-2020 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    With those sized areas I wouldn’t fool with beans. 1) it’ll get browsed long before it matures 2) if it’s never been prepared for seed you’ll need a ton of lime, actually closer to 4 tons, but I’d pull a soil sample to find out 3) 0-25-25 fert for those beans will hurt your wallet at 250#/ac, again.. soil sample.

Plant clover in the fall. Use the time you have now to get the areas right - soil test (when the ag extension opens back up), bush hog, spray, etc.

Just my $.02
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    No.
    So what do you suggest? I had originally planned on planting in May and June. I figured I would vary it up in the event of poor weather conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    So what do you suggest? I had originally planned on planting in May and June. I figured I would vary it up in the event of poor weather conditions.
    I’ll shoot you some suggestions when I get to the office in the am. You need to get a soil test done, private labs are open and it’s cheap to do.

Ok sounds good. Are the soil tests that you can get at Home Depot worthless? I mean the ones I have done seem to make sense on the ph etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mosser-L...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Buckwheat and Buck Forage oats.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Ok sounds good. Are the soil tests that you can get at Home Depot worthless? I mean the ones I have done seem to make sense on the ph etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mosser-L...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I wouldn't say they are worthless but theres more to a sample than just PH.

I think several of the posts above are solid, but what do I know. We have about 40 acres under till. Other than dove field and duck impoundment, we have our plots in a clover/chicory mix. The reasons are fairly simple- they handle browse well; they require minimal maintenance- spray, mow, fertilize; they last for 5-7 years sans terrible drought; the hogs don't completely destroy them; and they feed wildlife for most of the year. We are going to switch two or our larger plots over to an annual wannamaker blend this year for diversity purposes. I think that anything under 3 acres or so is too small for most annuals.
    Carolina Counsel