Thread: Bermuda Grass Eradication/Food Plot

Default Bermuda Grass Eradication/Food Plot

We have a 1 acre food plot on my club that's been completely overrun with bermuda grass. Anyone have any pointers for eradication? Nothing of value currently planted so we'd like to start fresh. Unfortunately the landowner doesn't let us burn, so that option is off the table.

Currently planning on bushogging the plot next weekend, then spraying glyphosphate in May once it warms up. After that should we disc a couple weeks/month later, then hit any bermuda that comes up with another dose of glyphosphate in July or August? We're ok with not planting the plot this season, as we want to fully eradicate the grass, If need be, we're willing to let it sit next year too, but I'd like to make sure we get it fully under control. Anyone have any thoughts/experience?

If running glypho it needs to be 128oz/ac or more.
    Don't spray under dry stressed conditions and let it grow some after mowing.
    If it's coastal it's not so hard to eradicate but common is next to impossible!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have been trying to beat common out of my dove field for years. I just have a small patch outside of the fence so far this year, which I will hand spray with a hot glypho mix. Inside the fence, it has exploded in the sunflower plot. I let it grow, mixed cleth, glypho, and broadaxe as a pre-emergent. Looks like I cleaned it up pretty well, but it will get a dose or Cadre, and more cleth for good measure.

Its easier to kill it out in the fall, when its pulling nutrients into the roots. Most of what I sprayed will come back in a few weeks.

Yeah common, I don’t want to abandon the plot, but that’s the prevailing thought.

We've been fighting common in one, now two spots in our dove field for a bit now.. it sucks. I've got one chuck about twenty by twenty that'll emerge after the flowers get all pretty. When I come over and kill everything it'll be up to like 8 inches, it's a damn Bermuda triangle for dead doves.

I have been fighting common Bermuda on the edge of my dove field also. It doesn’t help that the neighboring property is a hay field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like its gonna be a struggle, may look at just establishing a new plot in that area as we have some fallow land.