Thread: State land vandals

Default State land vandals

CLEVELAND —
    The Bald Rock Heritage Preserve offers a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains in Pickens and Greenville counties on a sunny day.

But the lookout itself is covered in a not-so-spectacular coat of graffiti. Representatives with SCDNR say that has been the case for years and it needs to stop, or they'll close off access to the public.

"That would be a last-ditch measure, but it's something that is being talked about because the damage here is so bad," said Greg Lucas, a spokesperson for SCDNR.

Lucas said the preserve, which has been closed since March 28 to help allow for people to practice social distancing, has garnered more graffiti than it did when it was open to the public.

"This is as bad as I've ever seen it and I'm assuming that most of this has been taking place since March 28 when the preserve was closed," said Lucas.

SCDNR has already put preventative measures in place. They've installed a fence that blocks the entrance area and added a wooden plank which restricts access to the footbridge that welcomes you to the preserve.

Lucas is asking people to call a tipline to report suspicious activity. He said you can call 1-800-922-5431 or text a tip to SCDNR to the number 847411.

Lucas said he doesn't want to see the actions of a few ruin it for other people who

"Hopefully if the public gets involved and can help report the acts of vandalism that have happened, kind of keep an eye on the place, we’ll be able to keep it and let folks who love it enjoy it," said Lucas.

Lucas said SCDNR welcomes any assistance from Scout troops or community groups to help keep Bald Rock clean.

No different than littering. Until they fine the ever loving shit out of these people it wont stop. Pop em with 1500 buck fine for littering or put some shackles on em and make em scrub it off with a toothbrush in july. Bring back chain gangs
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    No different than littering. Until they fine the ever loving shit out of these people it wont stop. Pop em with 1500 buck fine for littering or put some shackles on em and make em scrub it off with a toothbrush in july. Bring back chain gangs
    Too much work, bo. Don’t you understand how government works? Why hold the ones causing the problems responsible when you can just put up a locked gate.

Im tired of the litterbugs on my road. Im about to point to go through it and find an address then ring their doorbell and throw it in their face. I have no use for littering. They rank right up tgere with democrats
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Go to a state where you don't see litter and you will see the signs- fines start at $1000 or higher. The same applies to parking in a handicap spot.

SC needs to get on board with this- then write the hell out of tickets- I also think they should get time picking up litter in addition to the fine.

Call the law. They will go through it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Go to a state where you don't see litter and you will see the signs- fines start at $1000 or higher. The same applies to parking in a handicap spot.

SC needs to get on board with this- then write the hell out of tickets- I also think they should get time picking up litter in addition to the fine.
    True. When I drove into west Texas and saw a posted $10,000 littering sign, I pulled my ass over and checked the bed of my truck at the first pull off I could find...

I spent an awful lot of time there and around there in high school. Never had any spray paint, though. Females and Busch Lite, yes.