Thread: New to retriever training... have questions...

Default New to retriever training... have questions...

Newbie here. Our family has a 3 month old Boykin Spaniel that is an absolute joy. We purchased it because we haven't had a dog in a while, but most importantly because my son and I felt like we needed a retriever while duck hunting. We've been doing some basic things with him such as crate training, bell training, and playing fetch. He fetches with gusto! Takes after the little trianing dummy or a ball wide open! He brings it back, but when outside he wants to play keep-away. Inside with different toys he brings it right back to whoever threw it. I've been reading Dokken's retriever training book as it was cheap as a Kindle book and a trainer recommended it. I'm on one of the beginning chapters where Dokken starts talking about introducing feathers and wings. Just so happens I have a female gadwall I've had int he freezer for a few years that I had planned on mounting with a nice drake. I'm wondering as to where to cut it and if I need to try and preserve it with something before I start using it? Any ideas or experience with this would be helpful. Thanks!

Where are you located?

And welcome to SCDUCKS......

Suffolk Virginia. Thanks!

Well, that would be a haul to come train.....

I would get in the habit of putting a long check cord on the pup anytime you are outside throwing retrieves or otherwise until his recall is reliable. That way if you call the dog and he doesn't comply you can give him a few tugs on the cord and get him to you. You dont want him to get in the habit of blowing you off and you calling him over and over again...

As far as feathers go I would just cut the wing off at the base and toss it around for the pup to play with. Id use the same check cord while doing this so he cant take off with it though. Try to make this a very positive experience. Finding live birds such as pigeons for him to chase would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    I would get in the habit of putting a long check cord on the pup anytime you are outside throwing retrieves or otherwise until his recall is reliable. That way if you call the dog and he doesn't comply you can give him a few tugs on the cord and get him to you. You dont want him to get in the habit of blowing you off and you calling him over and over again...

As far as feathers go I would just cut the wing off at the base and toss it around for the pup to play with. Id use the same check cord while doing this so he cant take off with it though. Try to make this a very positive experience. Finding live birds such as pigeons for him to chase would be even better.
    Check cords is the original shock collar. The wisdom is to never give a command that you cannot enforce. Here is a short video of my young dog from a couple of years training to a stand with his check cord. MG

Dum Spiro Spero