Thread: Fertlizing?

Default Fertlizing?

I have some poor soil that I'm trying to get some food plots established in. When would be the best time to put out the granular N? Disc it in with the seeds or wait a few weeks after the plants emerge and top sow?

What is the pH? If it is poor, it is a waste of time and money to put out fertilizer as the vast majority of the nutrients would not be able to be absorbed. Have you done a soil test?

If you haven’t and just want to get something In the ground, I would disc, fert, plant and pack somehow. I would fertilize at a heavy rate, knowing most would leach through soil without helping out your food plots.
    Formerly DM88

I had a soil test done last year and the Ph was 4.5. This past fall I tilled in a good bit of Ag. lime then earlier this Spring I tilled in some pellet lime. I haven't had another soil test done because I know it's not anywhere near where it needs to be. The property was either an old tobacco farm or they used a lot of littler because the phosphorus is off the chart, literally. 46-0-0 and a high pot ash (I can't remember which right off and I don't have the test with me) was recommended for a fall mix.

However, I decided to try a summer mix of peas, soy beans, buckwheat, and may throw in some sunflowers. This mix shouldn't need a lot of N, but would still need the potash, correct? My thought was to hope for good growth then till under later on to put some organic matter back into the soil. My main goal is to get the soil suitable for a fall mix of plants.

Another option is spraying the plants with a liquid fertilizer once they come up.
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 04-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Liquid isn’t an option unless you got money to burn. Your lime should be activating now and starting to work now. Put the N out as close to planting as possible, no need to incorporate it.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 04-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Plow it. Spin on your fertilizer and seed. Then drag it in and pray for rain.

I've been planting Sunn Hemp for soil building. It grows like a weed (crotalaria juncea) and doesn't need much in the way of fertilizer and it puts a lot of nitrogen back into the soil. It doesn't reseed or volunteer. Deer eat the hell out of it but they can't keep up. It makes a lot of organic matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've been planting Sunn Hemp for soil building. It grows like a weed (crotalaria juncea) and doesn't need much in the way of fertilizer and it puts a lot of nitrogen back into the soil. It doesn't reseed or volunteer. Deer eat the hell out of it but they can't keep up. It makes a lot of organic matter.
    Do you plant it in a mixture or by itself? This is my first time trying buck wheat. The numbers aren't as good as sunn hemp, but it's supposedly easy to grow in just about any soil type.

I have only planted it by itself. It would probably shade out anything else. It gets 6-8 feet tall.

Actually, I did plant some velvet beans with it one year. They were supposed to ladder on the taller hemp. Some grew but I wasn't impressed with the velvet beans.

Buckwheat is my favorite summer crop. Can easily grow 2 crops with one planting and deer like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have only planted it by itself. It would probably shade out anything else. It gets 6-8 feet tall.

Actually, I did plant some velvet beans with it one year. They were supposed to ladder on the taller hemp. Some grew but I wasn't impressed with the velvet beans.
    Did you mow your plots to help keep up with the growth? I did some reading on it a while back and it seems that was the recommendation to keep it from getting woody and less desirable.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Aschenome........period

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk