Thread: Planting corn

Default Planting corn

I've always wanted to try and plant a corn plot for deer but never made it happen. I'm determined this year. Question is, can broadcast and or drill? I do have a grain drill but no planter. Secondly, what type of corn seed should I be looking for to do this if it is possible
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

There are certainly some folks in here with far more experience farming than I. I’m a wildlife farmer so to speak. That said if you have access to a planter that is your best option. If you do not a drill with every other hole blocked off would be second best. If you were to broadcast it I would do so in a mix of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I thought of blocking every other hole on the drill, problem I'm thinking I would have is the seed would still be dropped too close together in each row

It cost less to throw it in the ground than to plant it. Probably last longer too.

Get a planter or don't even try.

You can rent a planter- or pay someone that has one to come do it. Need to start with a soil sample.

Planning corn is very simple....if you have the right equipment. The only practical way is with a planter (not a drill).

Go check the price of seed and you'll get an idea of how costs explode.

Doing it the right way is expensive and time consuming...soil test, lime, fertilizer, pre-emergents, planter, post emergents, more fertilizer, cultivating, etc., then hold your breath waiting to see if it will make a crop. If the plot isn't big enough, they'll eat all of it as it comes up, before it makes corn.

I planted a 5 acre field for doves last year that I left for the deer. The deer stayed in it until I mowed it after dove season. I could tell they were there by the zillions of tracks and missing corn. They did their work at night. I sat over it several times during the late part of the season and never saw a deer. If you have too much food available, they eat when they want. I didn't see as many deer in the other parts of the property either. I've had much better luck with feeders that throw out only a small ration. They have to show up early or it gets eaten. You want to attract them, not feed them.

I pay a guy to plant roughly 20 acres for me at my place out of state. We did an initial soil test, we don’t lime. Basically spray initially to kill off, no till, one more spray, let it grow. We don’t mind some weeds since we’re planting for wildlife and not a yield.

You aint doing it with a drill a planters are very peculiar beasts. Disc over it several times lime/fertilize (although you probably won’t lime). Spin some Walmart shell corn. Let it come up, plow up some rows, spray Gly and Atrazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by bucknfloat2 View Post
    It cost less to throw it in the ground than to plant it. Probably last longer too.
    X2. Our club did the math. It is far cheaper to throw corn than it is to plant. Now the view hunting a half cut corn field on a frosty December morning.... that might be worth the dollars.

Corn and beans are just too expensive to plant correctly just to feed the wildlife. You need big acres so it doesn't get browsed before maturing and big acres means big dollars. Just my opinion.

But again. That view might be worth it...

Lime truck came last summer and again back in February. Not worried about the money. This is behind my new house. Figured it would be something cool to try with the boys also

Go for it. Rent a planter.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Broadcast, fertilizer and cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to your local feed and seed store and give them the $1.50 or so per lb they are asking for field corn and plant it. Use a planter even if you have to use a garden planter and walk one row at a time. This is Benman trying to steal some of my field corn.....

I didn’t put any lime or fertilizer of any kind to it, just plowed, planted and watched.