Thread: Sheared screw- any ideas??

Default Sheared screw- any ideas??

Bought a used Yamaha 704 binnacle, came with this sheared off screw. I drilled it out and hammered a number 10 torx into it and then broke it off as well. I tried heating and penetrating oil before that. Open to suggestions.
    IMG_20200410_111951137.jpg
    IMG_20200410_112024650.jpg

Wow...you screwed that up good.
    Take it to a machine shop and let them drill and try a real extractor tool. If that doesn’t work, it will probably need to be drilled out to the next larger size and retapped for a larger shank bolt.

Salt damage originally?

I think it will need to be milled out and then retapped for a larger bolt or a helicoil.

Weld a bolt os slightly smaller diameter than the head on that bolt. Let cool 5 seconds then turn it out.

seen this done: set a flat washer (same size as broke bolt)on top of broke off bolt. fill hole in with weld material. set a nut on top the washer and weld it onto material filled in center of washer and flat washer. back it out using wrench

Left-handed drill bit

Quote Originally Posted by RWW View Post
    seen this done: set a flat washer (same size as broke bolt)on top of broke off bolt. fill hole in with weld material. set a nut on top the washer and weld it onto material filled in center of washer and flat washer. back it out using wrench
    This is the route I would go

for the records I would take Steeling Ducks advice before mine. I have not worked in a machine shop since 1999.

It seems like there is enough sticking up still to put locking pliers on and try?

Or take a dremel and cut a long line it it for a flat head and then use a manual impact driver to pop it loose.

Or drill it out and re-tap it. I doubt it is hard metal.

Sand it smooth and paint it. You’ll never know it’s there. Or not there.

Before you do anything else- make sure it was not a reverse thread or anything you try will continue to fail

It will be hard to drill it out with the torx bit in there. After heating it up see if you can pull that bit out with a small screw driver and then use an extractor on it. Also heat it up and melt candle wax around it. I have better luck with that than penetrating oil for the tough ones. The weld idea is good also if you are a good welder or job welder. If you try and use JB weld and get it between the seam between the bolt and the hole you will have to drill the hole completely and tap for a larger screw. You can put a thin layer of grease around the seam so you know it’s not going to stick where it shouldn’t.
    Last edited by cam1195; 04-12-2020 at 03:14 PM.

Been there.

Drilling anything else into broken off hardened steel bit is going to be pretty damn hard.

There is plenty of metal there to weld a nut on, that’s what I’d do.