Thread: Wi-Fi Range Extender

Default Wi-Fi Range Extender

Anybody know anything about this?

Thinking about getting one.

D-Link AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender

Chuck will be along shortly. He's one of those hi- tech rednecks. He knows WiFi and rocks.

I have that one and it works ok. What is the need? If for tv's then this is your best bet other than buying a $200 router that can send signal to the moon and back.
    If for a laptop you may be better to get an external antenna that plugs into USB. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...8&psc=1http://

who is your internet service with?

what is the end game you are trying to achieve?

if you already have the Cat 5 or 6 wire ran to where you are needing the signal you could always use a spare router and put it into bridge mode. Provided you have a spare router laying around not being used
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

If you are just trying to fill the dead spots in the house look at some of the mesh systems. Extenders take a toll on your bandwidth, it halves it.

https://www.minim.co/blog/wifi-exten...-pros-and-cons

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mesh+wifi...nb_sb_ss_i_4_4

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    who is your internet service with?

what is the end game you are trying to achieve?

if you already have the Cat 5 or 6 wire ran to where you are needing the signal you could always use a spare router and put it into bridge mode. Provided you have a spare router laying around not being used
    Spectrum.

I was hoping to get a better WiFi signal out to my shop to improve my security cameras....it's marginal now. Also my dogs GPS tracker has something to do with wi fi..

No wire run for spare routers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-11-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Is your existing WiFi running at 2.4 ghz or is it running at 5Ghz?
    Many will run in dual mode but are deployed with a default setting of 5. While 5Ghz has more bands available to help keep network chatter down it doesn’t it’s range is shorter than 2.4.

I’ve been looking at the Google Mesh system not primarily for use as a range extender even though it will do that but because I can lock WiFi down to certain MAC addresses at different times. Basically use it as a Net Nanny to turn of WiFi to the kids devices at calendar set times.
    Having said that I’m not certain any ‘range extender’ will work for your situation, video is typically a bandwidth hog. If set to a very low frame rate it would probably work suitable but may defeat the purpose of why you wanted the cameras in the first place. The cameras do you no good if the frame rate and resolution have to be set so low that you cannot get useable information from what you are looking at. If the cameras are in your shop and the DVR is in your house I’d strongly suggest installing multi mode fiber for good reason. First you can run it much longer distances than copper cable, C5 & C6 are both limited to 328 total feet. The copper itself is subject to environmental conditions and corrosion and you have the added concern of lightning damage so in order to protect the house network, you have to install proper lightning protection on your LAN.
    With fiber, media converters can help you achieve gigabit speeds on your network while mitigating a host of issues associated with a traditional copper network and you get full duplex speed advantages of your LAN.

I upgraded to Comporium premium service with 4 of their extenders. Great WiFi at dock and an outdoor pavilion that are about 100 yards from the house where the router is. It’s impressive. Made my bill go up by $20/month and no equipment cost

We have a google thing, prob two years old and it works great, with two extenders. Get single all over house, with plaster walls.

RichBoy you ain't got Fiber run in the High Rent area? BAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Just get the 3 pack of google mesh.

Get you one of mergies tinfoil hats. Q will be in bidness.

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    No experience with that one, but they work. Have used them for years in our house. Have a TP Link one now. Can’t remember what we had before, but we had to get a new one when we switched over to spectrum. Our old one was so old it would not connect to 5g at all or simultaneously connect to 2g and 5g.
    I meant to ask, who do you and the wife use for cell service? Figured it'd be worth a few minutes to talk Spectrum Mobile. Could save y'all a few bucks...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Spectrum.

I was hoping to get a better WiFi signal out to my shop to improve my security cameras....it's marginal now. Also my dogs GPS tracker has something to do with wi fi..
    Just being honest... trying to get a good wifi signal at a distance of more than 50' from our modem/router is real hit or miss. You'll be much happier spending a little coin on a good router that blasts out a good strong signal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft