Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Jon Boat Thread

Default Another Jon Boat Thread

picked up a new-to-me boat a few weeks back ( Grizzly 1648 w/ 4 stroke 25hp Suzuki). I'm planning to have it for the long haul so there are a few things I plan to do it.
    I know there are other threads already ( looked back through a few) but figured I'd lay out my plans for the boat, ask some questions, and maybe update as I go. The main functions of the boat will be catfish jug/ trotlines, bream/crappie fishing, some bass fishing and occasional duck hunts. Not really looking to make many performance mods

My 1st plan is to rewire it. I think I've decide on a blue sea systems subpanel. I plan to have dedicated circuit for nav lights, trolling motor, light bar, bilge pump, and maybe a 12v charging port. The panel I'm eyeballing has 6 spots so I should have a spare slot for future use (anything else electrical wise I should add that I'm not thinking about ?)

I haven't decided on a switch panel yet, any suggestions on one?

I already have a light bar on hand, I plan to wire it with a wiring disconnect up front so I can take it on/off easily. Are there any companies that make a quick connect type bracket for the light fixture itself? I've got something in mind if not

I plan to add a water filter/separator. I've heard brand doesn't matter as much as just making sure to change the filter itself every year but I really don't know
    new fuel lines for the tank are already in hand (the good ones from NAPA) not the gray junk that breaks down.

Hydro-turf is in the plans for the front deck and the bench seat at the back. I've never installed it before but I'm sure proper prep work is the key to longevity, any tips appreciated.

Probably the last (and most costly) will be an aluminum flooring/decking over the ribs in the bottom. I'm thinking a sheet of #7 gauge (#11 may be fine, idk) and foam insulation underneath to help with sound deadening purpose. Its going to be cut, notched for ribs and probably a bend up towards the front for a tight fit. What metal fab shops do you recommend to take care of a job like that ( preferably within an hour or so of Greenwood)

what else ya got?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Love these threads. How long you reckon it'll take to get it how you want it?

Where mainly are you going to be using it? Fishing for what? How many days?

If your cat fishing at night I would recommend dim interior lights.

You didn't mention a GPS/Fishinder

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Red LED light strips under the gunnels. That’s what I put in my Jon boat and I love them. You can see in the floor and red has the least effect on your night vision compared to green or blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Love these threads. How long you reckon it'll take to get it how you want it?
    probably have it rewired and general tune-up stuff done next week. hydro turf within a month. I probably wont worry about the floor until deer season rolls back in and I wont be using it much. ill drop it off at a fabshop and let them have it

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbiaCornbread View Post
    Where mainly are you going to be using it? Fishing for what? How many days?
    Clarks Hill, Greenwood, one maybe two days a week on the water from april- august

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I've thought about it. ran jugs out a good many boats over the years and never had them so far at night so I'm kind of undecided right now

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    You didn't mention a GPS/Fishinder
    I did not, I actually took the fishfinder off today and not sure if I'm putting back on. I have an extra space in the panel if I decide to do so

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Red LED light strips under the gunnels. That’s what I put in my Jon boat and I love them. You can see in the floor and red has the least effect on your night vision compared to green or blue.
    Got a pic of them on at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    picked up a new-to-me boat a few weeks back ( Grizzly 1648 w/ 4 stroke 25hp Suzuki).

I haven't decided on a switch panel yet, any suggestions on one?

Blue seas is good, also look at https://www.pacergroup.net/ for wiring and components.

I already have a light bar on hand, I plan to wire it with a wiring disconnect up front so I can take it on/off easily. Are there any companies that make a quick connect type bracket for the light fixture itself? I've got something in mind if not

Any trolling motor disconnect should work great here

Hydro-turf is in the plans for the front deck and the bench seat at the back. I've never installed it before but I'm sure proper prep work is the key to longevity, any tips appreciated.

Soap and water with a green scotch brite pad then acetone right before application. Hydro turf is fine but seadek is a much for quality product from my experience. If you can wait until the end of the year they usually put it on sale at half off.

what else ya got?

Thoughts put in bold

New wire marine is located in Charleston. They have diagrams online for wiring. They can also build panels. Just built one for my buddy’s offshore boat and it’s awesome

I know you are rewiring, IMO whatever you do make sure you have at least 2 cigarette plugs. One, and this is the most important one, will be for a large spotlight. If you plan to run jugs, blowfish, or just fish at night on Greenwood, you NEED this.

Between the floating debris and people riding jet skis after dark, this helps ALOT. And yes, people ride jet skis after dark. I witnessed 2 people get killed on one in 1998, and helped with their recovery.

It took me 21 years to go fishing on the lake at night again......its a very scary and awful thing to see.

Second reason and this kinda points back to reason number 1 will be to keep a phone charged. Mainly in case you need 911 while on the lake.

Other than that, you have a pretty good sounding plan. Also the fab shop up on 25 on the right before you get to memorial gardens cemetery does good work
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Just me, but I wouldn't run the trolling motor through the fuse panel. I'd put a circuit breaker right off of the battery just for it, making it a separate, dedicated circuit. They pull a lot of amps which probably wouldn't be good on those little fuse panels. I use the SB style connector on my battery and if the trolling motor end ever starts acting up, I'll change it out to that style too.

50 Amp like these,
    https://www.remybattery.com/cable-co...onnectors.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Just me, but I wouldn't run the trolling motor through the fuse panel. I'd put a circuit breaker right off of the battery just for it, making it a separate, dedicated circuit. They pull a lot of amps which probably wouldn't be good on those little fuse panels. I use the SB style connector on my battery and if the trolling motor end ever starts acting up, I'll change it out to that style too.

50 Amp like these,
    https://www.remybattery.com/cable-co...onnectors.html
    Agreed run it on its own manual reset breaker.

Breakaway plate or tilt/trim unit. I will never own another jon boat without t/t and break away.

I want a trolling motor but don’t use the boat enough to justify the expense.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I should have worded it better but I planned to run the trolling motor by itself.

That panel I’m looking at is rated for 30amp on each circuit and my trolling motor requires a 45amp

Anybody ever use the battery boxes that have terminal connections on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    I know you are rewiring, IMO whatever you do make sure you have at least 2 cigarette plugs. One, and this is the most important one, will be for a large spotlight. If you plan to run jugs, blowfish, or just fish at night on Greenwood, you NEED this.

Between the floating debris and people riding jet skis after dark, this helps ALOT. And yes, people ride jet skis after dark. I witnessed 2 people get killed on one in 1998, and helped with their recovery.

It took me 21 years to go fishing on the lake at night again......its a very scary and awful thing to see.

Second reason and this kinda points back to reason number 1 will be to keep a phone charged. Mainly in case you need 911 while on the lake.

Other than that, you have a pretty good sounding plan. Also the fab shop up on 25 on the right before you get to memorial gardens cemetery does good work

Good to know about the fab shop

Two batteries with a pergo switch so you can cut power to your panel. One cranking. One deep cycle. Run them in parallel. You switch between 1, 2 or 1/2 as a back up for cranking if you need it. Most importantly you can flip it to off so you don’t drain your battery.

Put a float switch on your bilge pump that way you can still have a switch for it at your panel but just in case the panel is off it will run if it needs to.

Look up Rubber heads battery setup in his duck boat. Very slick way to set up a jon boat.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Bluetooth amp and speakers and run music off your phone. I like the 2 12 volt plugs idea. But for 30 dollars just get a phone battery charger and keep in your bag when you go to the lake. Can have that and plug in to boat battery if needed. They come in sizes of lipstick tube up to maybe size of an iPhone. Agree on red led under gunnel. I have green and they mess with night vision.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.