Thread: Grafting Apple Trees

Default Grafting Apple Trees

I am sure it is too late for this year, but I am planning for next. My Grandfather’s old orchard has a few trees that are nearing the end of their useful life. I would like to start some new trees by grafting some sprouts off of these older trees. Who has any experience or tips to share concerning fruit tree grafts?

The rootstock will have to be actively growing with the cuttings being dormant. The cuttings kept in a cooler to keep them dormant. Then chip bud on the side of the rootstock. Once the scion wood takes off and starts growing then you can cut the rootstock back. Trying to remember back to propagation at Clemson as to what rootstock we used on apple. I am sure it can be found out easily. This would be getting close to the time to graft the dormant wood onto. The rootstock.

Quote Originally Posted by awest79 View Post
    The rootstock will have to be actively growing with the cuttings being dormant. The cuttings kept in a cooler to keep them dormant. Then chip bud on the side of the rootstock. Once the scion wood takes off and starts growing then you can cut the rootstock back. Trying to remember back to propagation at Clemson as to what rootstock we used on apple. I am sure it can be found out easily. This would be getting close to the time to graft the dormant wood onto. The rootstock.
    Listen to this man he knows what he is talking about.