Thread: Need ideas

Default Need ideas

So in the rear of my house I have a covered 20x40 porch area. It is vaulted and has aluminum trac installed and I'm needing some ideas on house to finish it. I would really like some type of wood look but don't want to spend the money on tongue and grove or anything like that. I like the way bead-board looks but know I will eventually have to re-stain and or maintain. I had heard there were vinyl bead board sheets that had a wood look but I can't seem to find any info on them. Anyone have any ideas about those or maybe some other cool way to finish? Thanks in advance
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Artisan panel from MBCI...Get the embossed option and it looks a lot like wood.

Screenshot_20200407-045333_Chrome.jpg
    Last edited by Swift Strike; 04-07-2020 at 03:56 AM.

They make a MDF board that is tongue and and groove looks like "ship-lap" or bead board. I just installed a bunch, looks good and easy to work with. Lot less expensive than hardwood and ready to paint as it is primed.

Nice 6" T&G Bead board with a coat of prefinish for that whole area would only be 2800$ or so and you could get a good many years of life of it considering im sure its a very covered area. I doubt those sheets are much cheaper, and I definitely wouldn't use MDF on the porch.

A big ass fan is a must have!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Not a chance I’d use mdf for that application
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishinmission View Post
    Nice 6" T&G Bead board with a coat of prefinish for that whole area would only be 2800$ or so and you could get a good many years of life of it considering im sure its a very covered area. I doubt those sheets are much cheaper, and I definitely wouldn't use MDF on the porch.
    Look into this. I do a lot of porch ceilings with a preprimed 1x6 thats v groove on one side and double beaded on the other. You can paint it blue.

Buy once cry once. The bead board sheets look like trailer park shit. Do it right the first time and down the road you won’t hate it. And V Groove looks 1000 times better than bead. And don’t use MDF in an exterior application.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Trust me I looked. Those things are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Look into this. I do a lot of porch ceilings with a preprimed 1x6 thats v groove on one side and double beaded on the other. You can paint it blue.
    How would you attach it to the metal trac? Sheet it first then use standard installation?

Id look around on Armstrong's website. I cant remember the exact product but my company used an something from them as a VE item to bead board in a catholic church renovation and saved something like half a million dollars

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    20x40' calls for two medium sized fans.. LOL!!
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Buy once cry once. The bead board sheets look like trailer park shit. Do it right the first time and down the road you won’t hate it. And V Groove looks 1000 times better than bead. And don’t use MDF in an exterior application.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    *Glass slipper has always been my go to
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    How would you attach it to the metal trac? Sheet it first then use standard installation?
    Run some 1x4 on the metal and glue the ceiling boards with a blind nail in the tongue.

*glue to the 1x not to each other.

10/4. I got a ton of 1x3. I want the wood look, not painted

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    10/4. I got a ton of 1x3. I want the wood look, not painted
    Yeah just use the 1x3 as furring strips. See it done all the time. The boards we make are C&BTR pine and get stained all the time. That 2800$ i was talking about was with 1 coat of a paint/stain.

I'm in Charleston which doesn't do you much good unless you wanna come pick it up, but you could atleast use my number to bargain with someone in your area. Dont let anyone talk you into white pine or radiata either, need to be atleast 5/8" thick, southern yellow.